𝟙𝟟

Sam looked around him, only seeing a black abyss. He felt something spark near him, a sense. His eyes followed the pull - seeing a small thin trail of fire a few feet away from him.

He took a step forward, but as he got closer, the end closest to him disappeared, and the trail farthest grew longer. He stepped again, and the same thing happened.

His steps grew faster and faster until he was sprinting, but the fire just kept growing. The world seemed to slow down until he couldn't even tell if he was still moving, and then out of the blue, the fire stopped.

The fire created a circle and in the middle a letter. The same letter Deaton had given to him, to open when it was the right time. A voice came from it, Alex's voice - but he couldn't make out anything she was saying. It was all too hazy. He reached for the letter, but just as he could feel it in his grasp, it caught fire - turning to ash as he stared at his hand in horror.

Sam looked up, seeing a glass wall with a reflection that he had only seen once before. His true form. He opened his mouth to speak, or maybe scream, when something jolted his shoulder, and he opened his eyes.

"Sam, Sam, are you okay?"

He inhaled and exhaled, feeling scared, so scared, as he shivered.

"I, there was fire and a letter and then me, but it wasn't me and-"

Stiles gripped his hands together, coming close to him as he slowly rubbed his fingers over Sam's knuckles. "Hey, hey, deep breaths. In and out, in and out."

Sam's eyes squeezed shut as he tried to follow the other boy's commands, and eventually, he found his rapid breathing slowing down as he relaxed.

"Bad dream?"

He nodded.

"I'm sorry."

"Not your fault. It just felt so real."

Stiles nodded, waiting for a few seconds before speaking again. "I have some bad news. Jackson's escaped."

Sam's eyes widened as he quickly pulled his shoes back on from their spot under the dashboard. "Why didn't you lead with that?! "

"Here, you stay here and get ready while I'll tell Scott and Allison." He said, wanting Sam to have a bit more time to make sure he was ready before they jumped into yet another mess.

The brunette nodded as Stiles exited the car, letting the chilly air flow through the warm car. He guessed his body didn't automatically warm him up, which kind of sucked. Sam fixed up his coat, tightening it around his body, and then leaned back up against the seat as a shaky sigh escaped him. His hand dug into his pocket, bringing up a pill-shaped bottle and taking two, swallowing them with the slight bit of water he had left in his water bottle.

He felt calm, more in control than a few seconds ago, but the dream troubled him.

After a few more seconds Stiles knocked on the window, snapping him out of his trance. The buzzcut boy motioned to him, and Sam opened the door, giving Allison and Scott a slight smile.

As he climbed out of the car, he didn't notice the slightly charred seats under him, a handprint standing out where he had gripped during his nightmare.

They followed Stiles around to the back of the van where Sam could make out the burst open doors as his eyes adjusted to the dark.

"I have to tell my father," Allison commented, Sam wishing there was any other option but agreeing.

Scott turned away slowly, deep in thought.

"Scott. He's going to kill someone."

"Okay, tell him. Tell him everything." He relented.