𝟚𝟝

Stilinski opened up the file as everyone crowded around, leaning over his desk to get a good look at the small words printed on it.

"Alright, we've got shoeprints alongside the tire tracks at the trailer sight."

"And if they match, that puts the scene of Matt at three murders. The trailer, the hospital, and the Rave."

"Actually," Garrett spoke up, seemingly remembering something. "He was at four." The boy pointed to a slip of paper at the top of the file under a paperclip.

"He's right. A credit card receipt for an oil change was signed by Matt at the garage where the mechanic was killed." The man read out from the paper.

Sam shivered at the memories of the night, the sickening feeling of Stiles being paralyzed and the man crushed just a few feet away.

"When?"

"A couple of hours before you two got there."

"Alright, Dad, so if ones a coincidence, two's an incident, and three's a pattern, what four?"

"Four's enough for a warrant." The man spoke, causing the boy to pump his fist in victory. "Scott, call your mom back - see how quickly she can get here. If I can get an official ID, I can get a search warrant. Stiles and Sam, get to the front desk. Tell them to let Scott's mom in when she gets here. Garrett, start the warrant paperwork, you'll find all the information in the file."

The junior deputy tipped his fake hat as he nodded, a grin stretched on his face. "Good to have you back, Sheriff."

The pale boy took off towards the front of the precinct almost immediately, causing Sam to huff in exasperation before following him. Couldn't people wait before sprinting away?

Luckily he caught up and avoided the prospect of getting lost in the winding halls, almost stumbling into Stiles when he'd stopped - staring at the space where the lady had been only a few minutes ago.

"Hello?"

Sam's heart began pounding, looking over his shoulder in the reassurance that Alex was there - and thank goodness she was. What didn't soothe his nerves was that she looked on edge, a cautious glance.

"Something's not right," The dirty blond-headed boy began to say, feeling a wave of heat pass through him.

But one part of the room behind the desk seemed to differ in the temperature of its surroundings. It felt cold, unlike the burning warmth of Stiles beside him.

Stepping sideways as he kept the boy next to him close, a short breath left his body as he saw two large gashes of blood going down her chest.

"Sam, you and Stiles have to get out of there now," Alex said in a panicked voice, and when the latter turned around instinctively, his hand around Sam's wrist to pull him with, he barely made it three seconds before halting.

Moving to follow Stiles, the boy froze as he saw the scene in front of him: a smiling Matt holding a deadly gun to his crush's forehead. The finger on the trigger meant there wasn't enough time to disarm him, especially with the Kanima lurking around the station - waiting for its moment to pounce.

Maybe if he shoved the boy out of the way, he'd have enough time to fire somewhere else. But with that speed, he'd either need exceptional control over his powers or to put his full body into the push - and towards the path of the bullet.

"Sam, I know what you're thinking. Don't do it, Matt won't shoot him." Alex shouted, eyes pained as she looked at the scenario in front of her.

"Would you have done it?" He whispered back, earning a weird look from the gun holder.