Chapter 11: Conference

Dinner that evening was quieter than usual—Annie, Rico, and Duncan had all already gone home, as had a large percentage of the campus, judging by how uncrowded the dining hall was. Corrie didn't mind, though. She wanted to hurry through dinner so they could get to the meeting with Professor Lal quickly.

Roe pushed away her bowl of soup, looking queasy. "Are you sure she didn't say anything about what we're going to meet about?" she asked for the fiftieth time.

Corrie shook her head. "She just said she wanted to discuss something with us."

"She didn't say it was urgent," said Dawn. "But she wanted to make sure we met before we all leave for Thanksgiving break." She glanced up at the wall where the clock was. She must have been impatient, too.

"Are you all leaving tonight?"

Corrie shook her head. "I'd rather not drive at night if I don't have to, so I'll leave tomorrow morning."

"My parents are picking me up at like eight in the morning," Roe said with a grimace.

"Aww, I'll wake you up when I come in from my run," Corrie said, grinning. "What about you, Edie?"

"My parents are coming tomorrow in the morning sometime. They weren't sure exactly when. But I'm sure I'll see you before I go."

Corrie nodded and looked up at the clock again. It was 6:45. "Well, I'm done eating. We can probably go. I'm sure Professor Lal won't mind if we're early."

"And if she's busy, we can just wait in the hall again," said Dawn with a nod, standing up to gather her dishes.

They all put their dishes in the back where the cafeteria workers would take them to be washed, then bundled up in their coats and headed out into the chilly night. Thankfully, the magic building was still heated, so they didn't have time to get too cold. Corrie tugged her hat off as she walked down the hall, then knocked gently on Professor Lal's door.

"One moment," the professor called. They waited in silence until she opened the door. She raised her eyebrows, but smiled at them. "You are early."

"It sounded important," Corrie said.

Professor Lal nodded, then glanced behind herself. "My office is a bit cramped for five of us. Come, let's go upstairs."

Corrie stepped back so the professor could close and lock her door, then followed her back down the hall. Corrie and Dawn exchanged a glance. Where were they going?

They soon had their answer. There was a lounge on the second floor, brightly lit with fluorescent bulbs and furnished with large, comfortable-looking but worn chairs, as well as a kitchenette. Professor Lal took them to a grouping of three chairs and a couch, gestured to the seats, and sat down on one of the chairs. Corrie, Dawn, and Edie all sat on the couch, and Roe took the other chair.

"I am sure you've been wondering what this is about," said Professor Lal, clasping her hands in front of her. "Simply, the problems with the book you brought me may not be at an end."

"I thought you were going to destroy it," said Edie.

The professor gave a quick nod. "That was my plan, but as I explained to your friends, I thought that I might use it to locate Mardalan. However, when I attempted that, and had a colleague whose specialty is finding things attempt it as well, we both came to the same conclusion: the creator of the book was in the court."

"The faerie court, right?" said Roe. "Where Mardalan used to be in charge?"

"Yes."

"Could they be hiding her?" Corrie asked. "I mean, they're her friends, right?"

"It is possible, but unlikely. I have been twice since she disappeared, and saw no sign of her. Belara and Feloc also seem to not know where she is—indeed, I doubt they could be working together to rule that faction so well if they were still in contact with her in some way."

"Well, she's healing, right?" said Dawn. "Maybe she's there, but unconscious."

"That is also a possibility, but a troubling one—and it in no way rules out the first possible conclusion I came to. You see, I now think it is likely that Mardalan did not create the book at all, but that someone else in that court did so."

There was silence for a moment. Corrie was trying to remember everything Professor Lal had said about the book. "But didn't you say it was obvious it was her from the way the name was written?"

"Yes, and those fae are egotistical. They would want it to be known what they had done." Professor Lal shook her head. "But perhaps they were relying on my expectations. Perhaps someone there is trickier than I had anticipated."

"But who?" said Edie.

"That is a difficult question. And that is what I hoped you four would help me learn."