Chapter 130: Musicians

Tuesday, December 9

Corrie told her friends and emailed Professor Lal about Belinda; that afternoon, she waited for Belinda's call while working on her homework. It came late enough that she had begun to worry, but it came. When she and Edie went downstairs to meet Belinda at the front of campus, they found Professor Lal waiting just outside the building, reading a book in the lightly falling snow.

"You could have told us you were coming," said Corrie, surprised. "We would have let you in."

Professor Lal shook her head, tucking her book into her coat. "I have not been waiting long."

"Aren't you cold?" asked Edie.

"No," said the professor. "Has your werewolf music teacher arrived?"

"Yeah," said Corrie, gesturing toward the front entrance. "We were just going to meet her and show her where to go, make the introductions and insist on all the promises."

Professor Lal nodded. "What of Dawn and your other friends?"

"Dawn is still in class, I think," said Corrie. "She told us not to bother waiting for her since we figured it would be best to get there before sunset if at all possible." She wasn't sure it would be possible now, but they could try. "And we didn't want to bring too many people. Too dangerous."

"Wise decisions," said Professor Lal. "However, as I do not think you will make it out of the woods before the sun goes down, I believe I shall accompany you."

"That would be great," said Edie. Corrie nodded. Having the professor around made her feel a lot safer—especially since she would probably know how to tell whether the promises were real.

They walked to the front entrance, where the great iron gates were just being winched shut. Belinda was right inside and waved as they approached, then walked to meet them. She had a violin case in one hand and another case strapped onto her back. "Hi, Corrie," she said as she reached them. "I brought some instruments. What's up?" She looked at Edie and Professor Lal.

"Guys, this is Belinda, the potential music teacher," Corrie said. "Belinda, this is my roommate Edie, and our magic professor, Professor Marie Lal." She glanced at the professor, wondering whether to reveal that she was a faerie.

"Wow," said Belinda. "Cool." She shook hands with the professor and grinned at Edie. "So can you put in a good word for me? I want to go here next year, but I'm not sure if I'll get in. I mean, we don't find out for months yet."

"I am not involved in the admissions process," said Professor Lal. "However, if all goes well tonight, I will be sure to mention your name to those who are. Shall we go?"

"Definitely," said Belinda, clearly unfazed by the professor's formality.

"How are you getting back home?" Corrie asked as they began walking toward the woods. "I could give you a ride, but I don't know if your parents want you riding in a car with someone they hardly know."

Belinda rolled her eyes. "I'm almost eighteen, it's no big deal. But my mom is actually waiting for me in West Ashburn. She's going shopping and we'll have pizza when I'm done here."

"Does she know what you're doing?" asked Edie.

Belinda nodded. "She's a werewolf, too, and she's been meeting near Chatoyant College for longer than I've been alive. She knows about faeries."

"So what instruments did you bring?" Corrie asked. "That looks like a violin."

"It's a cheapo beginner's violin, but yeah," said Belinda. "If I'm not getting paid, I'm not going to shell out for an expensive one."

"They probably won't know the difference," said Corrie.

"I don't know about that," said Edie. "They had good musicians before."

"It won't matter while they're still learning," said Belinda. "Everything sounds awful when you're still learning the violin. When they get better, well, maybe someone will be willing to pay for a nice violin."

"Is the other thing a keyboard?" Edie asked.

Belinda patted the case sticking up over her shoulder. "A short battery-powered one from when I was a kid. I have a real piano at home now. But this should be good for learning on."

"Will a battery-powered piano work in the faerie lands?" Corrie asked, looking at Professor Lal.

"We shall see," said the professor. "Very shortly, in fact."

True to her word, the lights of the faerie court quickly came into view. "Oh, no," said Corrie. "We should have gotten Belinda a four-leaf clover. Or will it be better if she only sees glamour?"

"They may require that she only sees glamour," said Professor Lal. "Let us make our greetings." She opened the door to the hall (Corrie resisted the urge to touch her four-leaf clover and see the professor holding air instead of a doorknob) and stepped inside.

The others followed quickly, huddling close together. All of the faeries had turned as one in their direction. It was pretty creepy. Mardalan was holding court as usual on her throne, and the cage holding Feloc and Siffyd had been placed directly next to her. The two prisoner faeries glared out from between the bars.