Chapter 111: Cotton Bag

Corrie picked up the sticker that had fallen down and dropped it in her trash can, then pondered whether she should put up a new sticker. It would be a good experiment, but she was a little afraid of having her emotions messed with again—she certainly didn't like being anything other than cheerful all the time! She turned around and looked at Edie. "Do you still have that cloth bag you bought at the craft fair?"

"Hmm?" Edie looked up from her computer. "Yeah, of course. Why?"

"We should test the stuff we have that was purchased on campus, because of Annie's poster acting up again. Professor Lal isn't sure whether the magic level on campus has been raised again."

"I'll find it." Edie got up and went over to the trunk at the foot of her bed. She rummaged through it for a few minutes, then lifted the green plaid bag. "Here it is. I'll look for some scrap yarn."

"You haven't been knitting as much lately," Corrie observed.

Edie shook her head. "It's harder to find the time, what with all the faerie drama, not to mention classes. I was thinking about making something for Leila for Christmas, but I haven't been able to pick out the right yarn, and now..." She grimaced.

Corrie nodded sympathetically. "You should find something to make her anyway. I'm sure she'll be back eventually, and she'll appreciate a gift from you when she is." She wasn't entirely sure that was true, but she had to comfort her friend.

Edie smiled, then pulled out a thick string the length of her forearm. "Here we go."

"I recognize that," Corrie said, grinning. "It matches my hat."

"Yeah, it's left over from weaving in the ends. Well, shall we test it?"

"Definitely." Corrie stood up and walked over so she could see what Edie was doing more clearly. Edie dropped the yarn into the bag, coiling it up, then pulled the drawstring closed. After a moment she opened the bag again and reached in to pull out the yarn.

"It does look different," said Corrie uncertainly.

Edie nodded. "But it's not a bright matching green like before... Hey, get your hat."

Corrie leaned over to her bed and grabbed her hat, then held it up to the yarn. The yarn was definitely a greener shade now, even if it wasn't just as bright as the bag. She rubbed a bit of the hat between her fingers, then the yarn. "I don't think the yarn fiber changed like it did before," she said.

Edie rubbed them both as well, frowning. "It might be a little bit different. But last time I left the yarn in for a little while. It might just need more time."

"Well, put it back in, and we'll check it later," said Corrie.

Edie nodded and put the yarn back in the bag, closed it, and set the bag on top of her trunk. Then she said, "What about your doll? The one that looked like you?"

"Oh, crap," said Corrie, looking around the room. "I completely forgot about that. I know I put it somewhere safe so it wouldn't fall down and make me trip again... but where was it?"

"In your closet?" Edie suggested. "Or your bureau? I remember you didn't want to put it in any of your desk drawers because you're always opening and closing those."

"It might be in here." Corrie bent to open the bottom drawer in her bureau, where she kept stuff she didn't use very often, like a worn-out pair of jeans she couldn't bear to throw out just yet. She sighed with relief when she saw the little doll. "It's still there, just lying on its back."

"Maybe that's why you had a nap," Edie said with a grin.

Corrie shook her head quickly. "I hope not. But I guess I'll leave it here, and if I keep having naps, we'll know why..."

"I was just kidding," said Edie. "You were tired. I'm pretty tired, too."

Corrie closed the drawer carefully and stood up. "I should probably take the doll off-campus. I'll take it home with me when I go home for break. Though I don't really know if that would make a difference. I'll have to ask Professor Lal."

"She doesn't know everything," said Edie.

Corrie frowned at her, puzzled. "Of course not. But she'll have a better idea than I do, since she's been doing magic for a much longer time."

Edie nodded. "I guess it's worth asking her. You're right." She yawned. "I don't have time for a nap..."

"Have some coffee," Corrie advised.

Edie shook her head. "It's too late in the day. I'll just have to do some homework to keep myself awake."

"That wouldn't work for me," Corrie said, grinning, but they both went to their computers. The room grew silent except for the sound of keyboards and computer mice tapping as they worked on their homework.