Chapter 91: Closed

The waiting seemed to stretch on. The woods were almost silent; there were very few birds and animals running around in the middle of December. Edie saw Corrie begin to move around, looking at the leaves on the ground and at the things growing around them, but even her footsteps were quiet. Edie stared at the tree until she thought she saw something move, but after a moment she realized it was actually her eyes watering slightly from holding them open for so long. She blinked the moisture away.

Finally she sighed. "Maybe she won't come out with all of us looking at her. Or can't."

"Have you ever seen her come out of the tree before?" Roe asked.

"Yes. Sort of. It was like she wasn't there one moment, and there the next."

"Maybe she can only come out if there's a side someone can't see," said Dawn. She stood up and walked toward Edie. "Or maybe she doesn't want to come out when there are so many of us here?"

Edie shook her head. "I'm sure she'd want to come out to talk to you, at least, since you were the one trying to do magic from the tree."

They waited for several more minutes. Edie began to worry again. Was she going to wake up? Had she decided to go back to sleep because there was no more stimulation? Maybe she wasn't here at all, and they were wasting time sitting here waiting for her. Maybe she was somewhere else waiting for Edie to rescue her.

Finally Corrie spoke. "I don't think she's going to wake up. We're just wasting time. Unless you want to try my last idea."

Edie nodded and pushed her hair back out of her face. She had to agree. "What's your idea?"

"Fire magic."

Edie jumped up and stared at her friend in shock. "You wouldn't set the tree on fire!"

"Oh, no, of course not!" Corrie said hastily. "That would be incredibly dangerous, for more than one reason. No, I figured I could create a little flame somewhere near the tree, just close enough to be worrying. She must be able to sense fire near her tree, right? Especially if it's magical."

Edie's stomach churned. But it made sense. "I guess so," she said.

"Let me do it," said Roe, standing up. "I know your magic is under control now, Corrie, but the fact that you've had fire magic go out of control in the past makes me nervous. And Dawn already tried something that would annoy Leila, so it's only fair that I do something too."

"I have matches," said Naomi. "That might be safer."

"No, magic is safer, because you can just make the fire go away," said Corrie. "With a match you have to put it out somehow, and you might drop it. But Roe is right—I shouldn't do it, just to be safe."

"Be careful," said Edie as Roe stepped toward the tree.

"I will," said Roe. She cupped her hands near the trunk, where it forked out into a branch. Then after a moment a small orange flame appeared in her hands. It flickered, then grew slightly. Roe walked slowly around the tree, holding the flame in her cupped hands close to it. Finally she shook her head. "I don't think anything's happening."

"She would have to react quickly to fire," said Edie, disappointed. "I mean, if there was a forest fire she'd have to protect herself." She took a deep breath. "Maybe she really isn't in there. I think we should look for the court faeries instead."

"Maybe it should be a smaller group that does that," said Corrie. "I mean, it will be easier for Ever to hide just two people."

"I guess you'll be one of the ones to go," said Dawn.

Corrie shook her head. "I don't think it matters that much. But yeah, I'd rather go than stand around waiting for something to happen." She grinned. "Plus, the court faeries hate you, so you should probably stay away from them as much as possible."

Edie agreed with Corrie, but she stayed silent, feeling her heart beat. She didn't know whether she should go or not. She should really be here in case Leila woke up and came out of the tree, but if Leila was with the court faeries, Edie should be there, too. Which way would be better for Leila? Finally she said, "I had better go, too. If only because I know the way. And if we have to climb a tree, I'm better at it than the rest of you."

"Oh, good," said Naomi. "I'll stay here."

"Be careful, both of you," said Roe.

"We will," said Corrie. She took Edie's arm. "Come on, roommate. Let's go on an adventure."