Chapter 44: Thoughts

Corrie nodded. "I was also wondering..." She hesitated. She didn't know if this was something Professor Lal wanted to talk about, or even wanted known.

Professor Lal gestured with an open hand. "Please, ask."

Corrie took a breath. "In the police station, when they were questioning us... were you putting words into my head?" She glanced at Edie, whose eyes were wide and who nodded. "I guess both of us. It seemed like not all the ideas for what to say were my ideas, especially the fire hose thing—I told them that Dawn attacked Paul with a fire hose, which is probably a good explanation, but I don't think I came up with it on my own."

The professor nodded. "I did suggest those to your minds. That was why I waited in the hallway between your interrogation rooms—I wished to be able to listen to and participate in both of your conversations."

"Could you actually hear them?" Edie asked. "Or were you just listening to our thoughts?"

"Your thoughts and the officers' thoughts. It is not a discipline I practice often. However, a police interrogation or questioning is a fairly ideal situation for listening to thoughts, because the relevant thoughts are all organized and close to the surface—unless, of course, the one being interrogated is guilty or otherwise confused."

"Is it something we can learn to do?" Corrie asked. She couldn't even imagine how useful it would be to hear surface thoughts. She could use it to cheat on tests if there was a class she didn't care about learning, just passing—no one would be able to catch her.

"Yes, perhaps. That falls under psionics, which is Professor Rook's purview."

"Do you think telling them there was a fire hose was really a good idea?" asked Edie. "I mean, it would account for the water and all the pressure, but I know there isn't really a fire hose there. What if they come to investigate the area and it makes them suspicious?"

"If police come to investigate, they will find a fire hose there," said Professor Lal. "You look like you are about to fall asleep, however. Do you have any last questions?"

Corrie felt as though she'd drunk a dozen cups of coffee, but a glance at Edie assured her that her friend did look ready to fall over. "I do. Do you still want us to contact Ever?"

"Yes, I certainly do. It is even more important than it was before this attack. She may even know what happened with Paul in the woods."

"You don't think it's too dangerous to try to contact her?"

"Not if you can find some subtle way to do so. Besides, I doubt that Mardalan has any real contact with the court faeries now that she is not a part of them. Even if Belara and Feloc were to find out that she was communicating with humans, the knowledge would be unlikely to pass to Mardalan."

"But didn't you say she might be there with them?" Edie said. "That's where the book was, right?"

Professor Lal frowned. "Indeed. That is a possibility. Whatever is going on, there is a great deal of deception involved. Perhaps it would be best if you asked Tom to act as an intermediary between you and Ever. That way, Ever would not be in as much danger—I am sure that Tom has nothing to fear from the court faeries."

Corrie nodded. "That's what I was thinking anyway. I guess we'll do that tomorrow, or whenever Dawn is feeling better." She glanced up at the ceiling, as though she could see Dawn through five sets of ceilings and floors. "Do you think they found the knife?"

"I certainly hope so," said Professor Lal. "And unless you have more questions, I think I will take you to the elevator."

"We can't take the elevators," Edie said through a yawn. "They're just for maintenance."

The professor smiled slightly. "That is one of the benefits of having a professor with you." She held the door open for them, and they walked outside, Corrie helping support Edie. Then she walked with them around a corner to the maintenance elevator, which Corrie hardly noticed anymore. Professor Lal took out a card and swiped it by the elevator door. It chimed and the doors opened.

"Thanks," said Corrie as she and Edie stepped inside and she looked for the button for the fifth floor.

"Of course," said Professor Lal. "And neither you nor Dawn need feel obligated to come to class tomorrow. Roe, as well, if she is too tired. If you have earlier classes, I will make the necessary excuses."

"Thanks again," said Corrie, but the elevator doors were closing and it was bringing them up to the fifth floor.