Chapter 66: Chaos

"Wait a minute," said Corrie. She was looking back and forth between Dawn and Professor Lal, confused by how concerned they both seemed to be. "Lots of people know Dawn works at the library. I mean, anyone who's been there more than once must have run into her, and it's not like it's a secret—we've talked about it all over the place."

"That is precisely it," said Professor Lal. "Everyone in this place—students and professors—is likely to know that Dawn works at the library. But I know all of the faeries who are on campus, and I do not think any of them would work for the court faeries. Their antipathy toward humans makes it unlikely they would want to entangle themselves in anything to do with those of us on campus."

"But Ever lives with them and works with us," said Corrie.

"Yes, but that is a unique situation," said the professor. "Ever joined them to help humans, something they could not understand."

"That doesn't mean that there couldn't be another unique situation making someone live on campus and work with the court faeries," said Dawn.

"That is certainly true." Professor Lal shook her head. "I will make what inquiries I can—if there is someone passing information to the court faeries, it would not do to allow them to learn that I know about it. However, it may be unnecessary. It is entirely possible that the book was put in place to entrap whoever might happen to come upon it."

"Are there any other reasons they would have made the book, other than to mess with Dawn or the magic professors?" asked Edie. "Like, would they want to just stir things up on campus?"

"Yes, that is certainly something they might want," said Professor Lal. "To create chaos. Perhaps the end result would be to have more of the faeries currently on campus joining them—they always want more in the court. Or perhaps chaos is an end result in itself."

"What if it wasn't Belara and Feloc?" asked Corrie. She'd been trying to think of other possibilities, wanting to leave no stone unturned. "What if it was just one of the lesser faeries from the court? Maybe they, I don't know, wanted to get out from under their power or something."

Professor Lal raised her eyebrows. "Interesting. If it was a different faerie, they might have done it to drive Belara and Feloc further apart from Mardalan. Perhaps someone with a grudge against Mardalan? If such a person is revealed, I am sure Ever will make it known to us."

"Or someone from the market," said Roe. "They would have access to the materials more easily than anyone else, wouldn't they?"

"Yes, though they are unlikely to have come to the court afterward to be found by our locator spell. But in that case the only reasonable goal would be to create chaos." Professor Lal sighed. "Unfortunately, that is one thing we cannot avoid whatever we do."

Corrie grimaced. "I guess we do just have to wait for more information."

"Indeed. Ah, before I forget." Professor Lal reached into a pocket and pulled out a small plastic card, which she then held out toward Edie. "Ever's ID card, modified for Leila's use. It will allow her into Gilkey, and only Gilkey, and the computer system will not be aware that a non-student has entered."

Edie's eyes lit up and she took the card. "Thank you! I'm sure Leila will be pleased." She tucked it into her pocket.

"If and when we find out who made the book, what will you do?" Dawn asked the professor.

She shrugged. "It depends on who it is, and what the power situation is. If Mardalan is free by then, I am sure she would want to deal with whoever impersonated her. If she is not, and it is a lesser faerie, I can get other professors' help to have them punished or sent away. If it is Belara and Feloc, though, I suppose it depends on their motivations. I may have to simply talk to them and try to persuade them away from their goals."

Corrie grimaced. "That doesn't sound very promising."

Professor Lal grinned briefly. "True. I trust you will all be available should I need your help again?"

"If you keep us updated with what Ever tells you," said Dawn.

The professor nodded. "Of course I will."

"Then of course we'll help," said Corrie. "If there's anything we can do."

"I can only hope there will not be anything I need you for—I would not wish to put you in danger." Professor Lal tucked away the oak leaf and stepped out into the middle of the hallway. "Now, I have some work to do, and I am sure you all do as well, with final exams approaching soon."

"Don't remind me," complained Roe.

"As your professor, it is part of my job to do so. I will see three of you tomorrow. If I wish for your attention before then, I will send you an email." Professor Lal ushered them out of the building.