Chapter 68: Between Friends

"So, Annie," Corrie said as they made their way across the frosted campus together. "We should talk."

"Okay," said Annie in her soft voice. "About what?"

"Oh, I think you know what," Corrie said with a grin.

Annie frowned. "I thought you guys understood why I don't want to get involved with the faerie stuff. I mean, I'm glad you're figuring out what they're doing and all, but I think I would just freak out if I went near them again."

"Oh, I'm sorry!" said Corrie, her stomach twisting with guilt. "That wasn't what I meant at all. I would never push you to deal with the faeries. This is something completely different."

Annie tilted her head to look up at Corrie, still frowning. "Then I don't know what you're talking about."

"No?" They'd reached the door to Gilkey; Corrie swiped her ID and held the door open for Annie. "Come on, I know you're not really happy about being single."

Annie looked away quickly, ducking her head as she walked into the building. "I don't want to talk about that."

Corrie skipped to catch up with her—Annie's legs were so much shorter than hers that it was no contest. "Come on, it's okay. I'm not going to try to set you up with anyone. I know you like Edie."

Annie came to a halt and looked up again. Corrie could see annoyance and hope warring in her face. After a pause she said, "Well, what difference does it make? She has a girlfriend. A perfect, faerie girlfriend who I couldn't compete with if I wanted to, but I don't want to, because I would never try to break up a couple even if I do really like one of them."

Corrie shrugged. Now that it came to it, she wasn't sure what difference it would make to talk about it either, but she was glad to have it confirmed, at least. "Well, it might make you feel better about it to have someone who knows."

"Salome knows." Annie wrinkled her nose. "Luckily she doesn't care enough to talk to any of my friends, or she probably would have told Edie before now. You're not going to tell Edie, are you?"

"Oh, definitely not." Corrie held up her hands. "Your secret is safe with me." Edie would feel incredibly guilty if she knew someone had a crush on her, especially sweet Annie. Even if Annie didn't want her to keep it quiet, Corrie would for Edie's sake. "But if Edie and Leila ever break up, I'll let you know."

Annie smiled a tiny bit and began to climb the stairs. "I don't think that's going to happen."

"Probably not," Corrie admitted. "But Leila has been kind of distant lately. Maybe she's going to dump Edie."

Annie sighed, leaning heavily on the railing as they climbed slowly up the steps. "I don't want that, either. I want Edie to be happy."

"Yeah, I understand," Corrie said softly. She'd never had a crush like that, but she could imagine it. "Maybe you should go out with someone else. Take your mind off her. I mean, that would be the best outcome, right? If you got over her and she stayed with Leila?" For some reason, though, Corrie didn't really like the idea of Annie getting over her crush on Edie. She wanted to see them together, even though it was really hard to picture Edie and Leila breaking up.

"I don't know if that would help either," said Annie. "I've liked her for a long time."

"But you haven't tried to do anything about it, have you?" Corrie asked. "I mean, other than being her friend. Maybe you need to get out of her rut."

Annie looked up at Corrie again, and her smile was slightly twisted, but at least it was wider. "That sounds really dirty."

Corrie burst out laughing now that she realized what she'd said. "Sorry."

"It's okay." Annie was grinning now. "But what if I don't want to get out of my rut?"

Corrie shook her head. "Is it really that much fun to pine over someone?" She certainly had never been interested in doing that. She'd gone right after the guys she wanted—but so far that hadn't worked out so well.

"I'm not pining," Annie protested. "I'm just quietly unhappy. And it's easier than the alternative, in a way. At least I'm not being distracted by dating. I can focus on my studies."

"Can you?"

"Yes," said Annie firmly. They'd reached the fifth floor at last, and she pushed open the fire door with unusual force. "I'll be okay, Corrie, really."

"If you insist," said Corrie, but she said it lightly so Annie would know she wasn't mad at her. "But if you ever do need someone to talk to about it, I'm available, okay? And I won't tell Edie."

"Yeah." Annie took out her keys and gave Corrie a genuine smile. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," said Corrie, and she continued on down the hall to her room.