Chapter 131: Lessons and Promises

Beside Corrie, Belinda gave a little gasp. "They're really..."

Corrie wondered for a moment what Belinda saw, then realized it must be the same thing as she saw; it was unlikely that any of the glamours were specifically directed toward her or their group, and Corrie wasn't touching a four-leaf clover. "I told you," she murmured as they walked forward. "Will you be okay?"

Belinda gave a shaky nod, but as they had reached the throne, she didn't say anything. Professor Lal inclined her head to Mardalan. "Lal," said Mardalan. "I know that you are as fond of good music as I am, but I did not think that you would be willing or able to teach our new servants."

"I am not," said the professor. "I am merely here to ensure that everything goes smoothly." She stepped aside and gestured at the three girls. "Corrie and Edie have brought your musician, as requested."

Mardalan crooked a finger. "Come where I can see you, girl."

Belinda swallowed, then stepped forward. Corrie stayed with her but didn't get too close to Mardalan, wanting to protect Belinda without giving offense. She wished she could be sure that she was doing the right thing—or even that there was a right thing to do.

"What shall I call you?" Mardalan asked, peering closely at Belinda.

"My name is Belinda." Her voice was small but audible.

Mardalan looked at Lal. "Have you placed a spell of seeming on her, or does she understand the situation?"

"She understands," said Professor Lal. "She is a werewolf. She knows the value of secrecy."

Mardalan nodded in satisfaction. "And you are a musician, Belinda?"

"Yes." Belinda's voice strengthened. "I've been playing the piano since I was five years old—that's twelve years—and the violin for eight years. I've also taken singing lessons, so I can teach them to sing instead. I know my instruments and I know how to teach."

"And you will come here every night to teach them their music?"

"Not every night," said Corrie and Professor Lal at the same time.

"She has school and other duties," said the professor. "You should agree on a time to meet, perhaps once a week. I or one of the other professors will escort her to the forest until she can find her own way. Unless, of course, you refuse to make promises that will assure her complete safety, in which case a professor or two will escort her here and remain with her each and every time."

Mardalan frowned. "Do you believe I would endanger the safety of our music teacher when she is the only way we will have proper entertainment again?"

"I believe you may decide that her teaching is not good enough and force her to stay here and perform the music instead," said Professor Lal.

Mardalan's mouth twitched. "Well enough. I will make the proper oaths, and I will stand in for my people, for they are my charge and responsibility. Should any of them break my law, on my own head be it." She stepped down from her throne and slid gracefully into a cross-legged position on the ground.

Professor Lal stepped up to her and cut open her palm—Corrie didn't see where the knife came from or went to, and wondered if she might have used her own claws. "Make your promises." She held her hand over Mardalan's head.

As the faerie queen recited promises to protect Belinda from harm, to not allow harm to come to her, and to permit her to leave once she judged the lesson over or in any other situation in which she felt she must leave, the professor's dark blood fell onto the top of her head. It seemed to absorb into Mardalan's bright red hair until there was nothing left, but at last the promises were complete and Professor Lal seemed satisfied, stepping back and licking at her palm to slow the blood.

"Will you come every seven days from this day, Belinda girl?" Mardalan asked, rising again without apparent discomfort.

"I... I guess so," said Belinda. "Yeah, Tuesdays should be okay. If there's a full moon, though, I might not be able to come. Should I come on Monday or Wednesday if that happens?"

"As you choose," said Mardalan. "We shall work that out if it comes to it." She waved her hand at the caged faeries. "Now begin your lessons. We are anxious to have our music."

Belinda turned to Feloc and Siffyd and slowly walked to them. Feloc hissed and Siffyd drew back, but they were limited by the cage. It was barely the size of the bathroom in Corrie's apartment, and Feloc was hunched over so his head wouldn't hit the ceiling.

Belinda put down the two cases and opened the keyboard case. She pressed a button, then a few keys; notes rang out, albeit sharp, tinny ones. Belinda shrugged and poked the keyboard through the bars. Siffyd reached forward hesitantly and took it, turning it on its side and then upside down as she fumbled with it. It struck Feloc on the shoulder and he growled, but Mardalan made a quelling gesture at him and he winced and quieted.

"I don't think this is going to work," said Belinda, looking up at the faerie queen. "There isn't enough room in there for both of them and the instruments. Is there any way you can keep them restrained while leaving their hands free?"