Chapter 77: Presents

After they'd finished eating dinner, they all headed back to Gilkey. Dawn was thinking about all the homework she had to do—there were worksheets for both psychology and sociology—when she saw that there was someone waiting outside the front door of their dorm building.

Her first thought was, Oh, no, not again. Then her second thought was, Maybe it has nothing to do with us. After all, it could have been someone's boyfriend or girlfriend, locked out of the building by the automatic controls. Or someone's study partner. But she doubted it. Everything strange always seemed to have something to do with them.

The figure didn't make any threatening movements, but she prepared herself anyway. It was still too dark for her to see anything, or tell whether it was a human or faerie. At least, she thought it was too dark to see anything, but a moment later, Corrie said, "Mom?"

Dawn began to laugh as Corrie ran forward and hugged her mother. She'd been so worried and here it was just family. But why was she here? Maybe she was wrong after all.

The rest of them caught up as Corrie and her mom—yes, Dawn recognized her for certain now—separated from each other. "What are you doing here?" Corrie asked, obviously pleased to see her mom.

"Did you forget that it's your birthday?" her mom said, grinning.

"It's your birthday?" cried Dawn. "You didn't tell anyone!"

Corrie smacked her forehead with one mittened hand. "I didn't forget it was my birthday. But I've been so distracted, I forgot to say anything."

"You told me!" said Edie. "Wait, I have... no, my present is inside. But you'll love it, I promise."

"How did you even get on campus?" Corrie asked her mom.

"They hadn't shut the gates yet when I got here. I didn't know I'd be waiting for so long."

"Oh, jeez, I'm so sorry. We were busy, and having dinner, and... well, you didn't tell me you were coming!" As Corrie spoke, she was unlocking the door to Gilkey with her ID card, and then ushering her mom inside. Dawn followed them into the warmth and brighter light, the others crowding in behind her.

"I didn't think I had to tell you," her mom said. "I always take you out for ice cream cake on your birthday. Oh..." She sighed as Corrie pushed her hood down, exposing her stubbly head. She didn't seem surprised, though, so Dawn decided that Corrie must have already told her about the hospital stay and the head shaving.

"You always did when I lived with you, but I'm forty minutes away now. It's okay." Corrie reached up to touch her hair. "I kind of like it."

"It does suit you," Corrie's mom said, then reached out to rub the fuzz. "But it must be so cold."

"Let's go upstairs," Edie said. "That's where Corrie's present is."

"That sounds good," said Corrie's mom. "Presents, then ice cream."

"Isn't it too cold for ice cream?" Dawn asked as they all began to walk toward the stairs.

Corrie grinned at her. "You don't have to come if you don't want to."

"You're all invited," said Corrie's mom. "Really. It's not every day your daughter turns nineteen."

Rico shook his head. "I really have to do some homework."

"I'll come," said Annie. "I never pass up free ice cream."

"Me, too," said Roe.

"Can I see if Naomi wants to come?" Dawn asked. "I don't want to leave her out."

"Of course," said Corrie's mom. Deborah, that was her name. "It'll be a girl's night."

Dawn kissed Rico goodbye as they passed his floor, then proceeded up to the top. One thing that was nice about all these stairs, at least, was that you were warm by the time you made it up them. They all crowded into Corrie and Edie's room, and Edie opened her trunk and dug around for a bit.

"Okay," Edie said, standing up and holding something behind her back. "It's not wrapped or anything. I didn't have time to find wrapping paper."

"That's okay," said Corrie. "I won't turn down presents no matter what they look like."

Edie grinned and pulled her hands out from behind her back. Dawn couldn't see what she'd been holding until Corrie laughed out loud and held it up. "A hand-knitted hat!" The yarn was different colors of red, orange, and yellow, like autumn leaves, and it had a pom-pom flopping from the top.

"Bulky yarn for extra warmth," said Edie. "And it's made of alpaca, which is just about the warmest, softest fiber out there."

"Perfect for a freshly shaved head!" Corrie pulled it on over her ears. It covered up her stubble entirely. "Oh, it fits just right! Thank you, Edie!" She flung her arms around Edie.

Edie laughed and hugged her back. "I was originally going to make you a scarf with it," she said as they let go. "But after Sunday, I thought you needed this more."

"I do. When did you have time to make it?"

"While you were at class, mostly. Hats are really easy. The pom-pom was the hardest part."

"That's so nice of you, Edie," said Deborah.

Edie shrugged. "I like making things for my friends."

"Well, I'm afraid my present isn't as unique," said Deborah.

Corrie shook her head, still grinning. "I don't care. You didn't have to get me anything."

"I couldn't resist." Deborah reached into her pocket and pulled out what looked like a small piece of paper. "I know you like four-leaf clovers now..."

"Oh! I love it!" Corrie held it up so the rest of them could see that it was a bookmark with a four-leaf clover laminated into the top. She touched the clover through the lamination and nodded. "This is great. Thank you, Mom."

"You're welcome. Now, who's ready for ice cream?"