Chapter 86: Hairs

A few hours after their meeting with Professor Lal, Edie, Corrie, and Dawn met their other friends for dinner. They gathered everyone together and explained as concisely as they could what had happened and what they wanted to do. Edie didn't talk much. Her head didn't really hurt anymore, but it was as though she could feel the ghost of the headache, or the remnants of the barriers in her mind. She didn't understand why Leila, or anyone else for that matter (she still wondered if someone else had put on the blocks that she didn't remember Leila telling her about) would want to keep her from remembering what she was.

"Of course I want to go," said Naomi when the explanations were complete. "If they've hurt Edie's girlfriend, they'll have us to answer to." She had a hard, stubborn expression on her face. Edie tried to smile with gratitude. She and Naomi weren't really close, so it was nice that Naomi was so eager to help her.

"And I will too," said Rico. "Anything I can do to help." That was for Dawn, of course. Edie smiled a little more to see the way the two of them looked at each other.

"I..." Annie started, then stopped.

Edie looked at her. "It's okay," she said. "You probably shouldn't go into the woods. If they're getting rid of their human musicians, they might go after you, even if they didn't get to keep you."

Annie's face went even paler than usual, her freckles standing out. "I didn't even think about that. You're right. I'll stay here. But you'll tell me what happened when you get back, right?"

"Of course," said Edie.

"Do you want us to bring one of your hairs to Professor Lal?" Corrie asked. "That way you can go into the woods later without setting off the alarms, if you like."

Annie chewed her lower lip, then shook her head. "I think the alarm probably should go off if I ever go into the woods. It probably wouldn't be for a good reason, so I would want someone to come investigate."

"That makes sense to me," said Roe. "Is there anyone else we think would come into the woods with us?"

"I don't want to add anyone else to the group today," said Dawn. "And I'm not sure anyone else should know about the alarm system. The only people I can think of who might care are Troy, Link, and Lorelei, and Troy and Link know better than to go into the woods anyway. The only time Lorelei went into the woods it was to try to help Annie, and it didn't end well for her, so I think she should also set off the alarm."

"Charlie goes into the woods," said Corrie.

"Not into faerie territory, though," said Edie. "Professor Lal said the alarm system was just for that part, didn't she?"

"We should ask," said Corrie. "We'll go there now." She drained her water glass. "Ready, Naomi, Rico? Annie, you'll head back to the dorm?"

"Yeah," said Annie. "I'll see you guys later." She hadn't finished her food. Edie stood up along with the rest of them, leaving Annie alone at the table. She waved. Annie smiled slightly and waved back.

It was dark when they left the dining hall, but not quite as cold as it had been—almost unseasonably warm for a December evening, in fact, which Edie was grateful for. She still needed to wear her coat and mittens, but she didn't feel like she wanted to be inside constantly. They hurried to the magic building, and Corrie knocked on Professor Lal's door.

"Come in," called the professor.

"I don't think we can all fit," said Corrie. "Naomi and Rico, you go in."

But before Corrie had finished her sentence, the professor had opened the door. She raised her eyebrows at the group of them. "I take it you are all going into the woods to investigate what has happened with Leila."

"Yeah," said Naomi. "I hear you need our hairs to keep an alarm from going off." She rubbed her hand over the nape of her neck, the only place on her head where she seemed to have hair that wasn't twisted and knotted into dreadlocks. Apparently finding a loose hair, she held it out to Professor Lal.

"Thank you," said the professor, taking the hair. "Rico?" He rubbed his hand over his head, where the hair was almost as short as Corrie's right now, but seemed to find some hair to drop into Professor Lal's hand.

She closed it. "Very well, that should be everyone. The other professors and I will begin to create the barrier soon, but I will give you a few minutes to cross into the woods, so that your bodies don't interfere with the magic."

"I had a question first," said Corrie. Professor Lal nodded at her, and Corrie continued, "There's a werewolf who lives in Gilkey. He has to go into the woods pretty regularly. Will he set off the alarm?"

"Not unless he goes into faerie territory, which I doubt he would do accidentally, and certainly not on his way to meet his pack." The professor smiled. "It is good of you to think of him, though."

Edie's stomach was fluttering with anxiety. While they were standing here, Leila could be dying. Or her killer could be getting away. "Let's go," she said. The others nodded. They took their leave from Professor Lal and headed to the woods.