Chapter 63: Quiet Conversation

Leila told them that it would now be safe to climb down out of the tree, and everyone did so with various exclamations of relief. Edie and Leila let everyone else climb down first—after all, they were the best climbers. And Edie was enjoying sitting here with Leila's hand in hers.

Naomi yawned and said that she was going right back to bed when she got back to Gilkey. Edie remembered that she had planned on doing the same thing when she had been awakened so early by Dawn's summons. It seemed like a long time ago now—which it was, of course. She was too alert to go back to sleep now.

They formed a ragged line pointed back toward campus, Leila and Edie in the back. Leila walked with her, but Edie knew she would have to go back to her tree. "Will you be all right?" she asked. "I know the winter slows you down."

Leila smiled, but she did look tired—there were even bags under her eyes, though they were as pale and perfect as the rest of her skin. "I will be all right. I can still listen to what is going on around me, even when I am asleep."

"I didn't know you could do that."

Leila shrugged. "It is not always useful. There is only a small network of trees that I can use, all on this side of the campus."

Edie nodded. They were walking more slowly than the others, and being left behind, but she knew her way. "Will you come and see me? I mean, if anything happens to Ever, or you have anything to tell us about. She's going to send us notes with updates, but I want to make sure you're okay, too. I don't know how to get in touch with you." She felt selfish for asking Leila to break her semi-hibernation just for her, but she missed her girlfriend so much of the time. "I should ask Professor Lal again about getting you a key," she added.

"That would make it easier," said Leila. "Yes, I will come see you." She stopped, turning to face Edie and taking both of her hands in her own. "You do make my life interesting."

Edie couldn't help laughing a little. "Me? I think it's you that makes my life interesting. And your sister."

"Ah, but she would not have such an interest in me if it were not for you. And you bring along your friends, and all your interesting ideas." Suddenly she frowned and looked up at the sky. "I wonder..."

"What is it?" Edie looked up, too, but she didn't see anything. The sky was light now, but it was awfully grey. Maybe it was going to snow.

"I was just thinking. It's nothing."

"You can tell me." Edie noticed that Leila had used a contraction. She hardly ever did that. What did it mean? Maybe just that she was listening to human speech more often than she had done in the past.

"I mean it. It is not something that will affect you." She bent down and kissed Edith softly on the lips. "You should get back to campus. You need sleep, too."

Edie shook her head. "I don't think I can sleep now. I need a long, hot shower."

"Ah," sighed Leila dramatically, "if only I could join you there." Edith giggled. Leila squeezed her hands. "Well, even if you do not need sleep, I do."

"Yes, of course." Edie squeezed back. "I'll see you later, then. I'm done with my classes by the evening, but we might have to go talk to Professor Lal."

"I doubt anything of interest will happen today, but if it does, I will come to campus. I am sure you are not the only one wondering where I have been." Leila yawned. "Farewell for now, Edith."

"Bye." Edie let go of Leila's hands, then watched her turn and walk into the woods for a few minutes. When Leila was just a black and orange blur, Edie walked back to campus, hands in her pockets.

The others had all disappeared ahead of her, so she returned to her dorm room alone. Corrie wasn't there; she must have been out on her run. Edie slowly gathered her things, then took that long, hot shower. Most of the dorm wasn't up yet, so she had more privacy—and hot water—than she usually did. But when she was clean and dry and warm again, she felt bored. She had some time to kill before Academic Writing, which she wasn't used to. She was hungry, but when she didn't know where everyone else was, she didn't want to get breakfast by herself.

She knocked softly on Dawn's door, remembering what Naomi had said about sleeping. After a moment, Dawn poked her head out, smiled, and came out of the room. "Hey. We thought you might be staying in the woods with Leila."

Edie shook her head. "Just for a little while. You want to get breakfast?"

"Corrie said she'd knock on my door when she was done with her run and shower. I guess we can wait in your room."

"Sure." Edie led the way back to her room and started talking about classes, but she was still wondering what had occurred to Leila that she wouldn't tell her about.