Never Again

struggled not to slip with my bare feet on the wood floor as I ran. My heart was pounding as I made it into the hall. I had no idea where I was going to run to, but I had to get help. We were lost in the middle of nowhere so it would take me hours to find a town or even another house. I did not care. I had to get out of here.

I grabbed the door handle. I tried to turn it, but it didn't budge. I shook my head as I pulled on the handle.

"No, no, no, no," I repeated to myself.

I balled up my hand and banged my fist on the door. They must have locked it. They have trapped me inside this house. I kicked the door with my foot out of frustration.

"Lindsay." I turned around to see Jenny standing behind me. She gave me a soft smile, but I could see a flash of pain behind her eyes. "Lindsay, it is okay."

"You have to get me out of this house," I said.

"I can't do that," she said.

I grabbed Jenny's arms. Her eyes went wide and her body froze.

"Please," I begged. "Please, you have to get me out of here."

"Lindsay, it is okay," she said.

"It's not okay. They're going to kill me."

"I promise you they are not going to kill you. We love you."

I tightened my hold onto Jenny as I fell to my knees. Tears were rolling down my cheeks as I sobbed.

"Please!" I cried. "Please, you've got to open the door."

"I can't," Jenny said.

"Please, you have to!"

"I don't have a key to the door."

This door was not going to open, but there was one more. I watched the men leave out a door in the kitchen. It was riskier because one of the men would probably see me, but I had to at least try.

I stumbled as I got up onto my feet. I pushed Jenny to the side as I ran down the hall to the kitchen.

I grabbed the door handle to the kitchen door, but it did not budge. I screamed as I banged on the door. They have locked me in this hellhole.

Jenny placed her hand on my shoulder and I swatted it away. I stepped back hoping to find another door somewhere. There had to be a way out of here. Jenny grabbed my arm to stop me from running away.

"Lindsay, have a seat in the living room," she said. "We can talk."

"I don't want to talk," I said. "I need to get out of here."

"Take a deep breath," she told me.

I pulled my arm out of Jenny's grip. My eyes darted around the room. I gagged when my eyes fell onto the shower curtain. Wyatt's suspended body filled my mind.

I ran past Jenny. I had to find a way out of here. Somewhere there had to be an unlocked door or a window without bars. I did not get far before she wrapped her arms around me and stuck her leg out to trip me. I lost my balance and fell to the floor.

Jenny got on top of me and pinned me to the floor. Her eyes went wide when she realized what she had done. She let go of me and sat up straight.

"Get off me!" I yelled.

"Lindsay, you need to calm down," she said.

"Fuck off!"

Jenny chewed on her bottom lip. She reached into her back pocket and pulled out the small black object that Noah had given her earlier. I squinted to see that it was a walkie-talkie. The radio crackled as she pressed the button on the side.

"Noah, I'm going to need your help already," she said into the radio.

I thought I could somewhat trust Jenny, but she just ratted me out. She was feeding me to the wolves. Noah was going to come in and kill me. I was going to be the next victim hanging from the hooks.

I smacked the radio out of Jenny's hand and it slid across the tile floor. I screamed as I grabbed Jenny's shoulder. I threw my weight forward and knocked her back. I climbed on top of her. She threw a punch, but I caught her fist in the air.

"They're going to kill me now," I said. "I'm going to die because of you."

"What are you talking about?" she asked.

"They're going to kill me!" I repeated.

The lock clicked and the kitchen door opened. Gabe stepped in and his jaw hung open when he saw me on top of his mother.

He held the door open. I wanted to run, but his body was blocking the doorway. Noah walked in and shared the same shocked look as Gabe.

I really messed up. They were going to kill me for sure now. They were going to torture me.

I stood up. I took shaky steps backward as I held my hands out in surrender in front of me. Jenny pushed herself up. Noah rushed over to her and helped her get back onto her feet. He held her to his chest and glared at me.

"I am so sorry," I said. "I am so so sorry.

"Gabe, go deal with her," he told his son.

Gabe nodded his head. As he stepped closer to me, I took steps back until I hit something cold and hard. I looked behind me to see that it was the fridge. Gabe put his hands on either side of my head and was trapping me.

"What were you doing?" he asked.

"Please, don't kill me," I begged.

Gabe raised an eyebrow. The corner of his lips twitched into a sickening smirk.

"I'd never kill you, sweetheart," he said. "I need to punish you though."

"No!" My heart pounded.

"Did you just yell at me? You are digging yourself into a deeper hole."

"Please." I put my hands on his hard chest. He looked down at my hands. "Please, I am sorry. I won't do it again."

Gabe grabbed one of my hands. He brought it up to his mouth and kissed my knuckles. Tension eased from my muscles. I may have talked my way out of being punished.

"You are never going to do this again," he said. "I am going to make sure of that."