Not Alone

The pain in my head had dulled to a barely noticeable throb. The blaring of Gabe's alarm clock woke me up at the usual five in the morning. Gabe had not said much to me since he brought me upstairs yesterday, so I was surprised when he climbed on top of me after he turned off the alarm. I smiled when he held my face in his hands.

"Good morning, beautiful," he said.

"Good morning," I said.

He leaned down and kissed me. When he pulled away, I wrapped my arm around his neck and pulled him back down. I could feel him chuckle against my lips.

"I love waking up next to you," he said softly.

My smile grew wider. Gabe kissed my forehead before getting out of bed. I sighed, feeling the coldness of the air without Gabe's heat, and climbed out of bed. He handed me a dress and a cardigan, and I got changed.

I woke up Jared and changed his clothes. I carried him on my hip as I walked down the stairs. I set him down in his highchair before I started making breakfast. Gabe kissed my cheek before sitting down at the table.

After we ate, we got into the car and drove to Noah's. Jenny was clearing the dining room table as we walked in. Noah was off to the side talking to Taylor. Their voices were hushed and I could not make out what they were saying. Taylor's eyes were on the floor as he nodded his head. Gabe nudged me with his elbow when he saw me staring.

"Sorry," I said.

I went over to the sink and helped Jenny wash the dishes. My hands were in the hot soapy water when Taylor stepped away from Noah. I couldn't help but look over my shoulder as Taylor walked across the kitchen and over to the basement door. Gabe cleared his throat, and I looked back at the plate in my hand.

I listened to Gabe's footsteps as he walked up behind me. He put his hand on my hip. My heart pounded as he whispered into my ear.

"Don't be nosy," he said.

I bit down on my lip and nodded my head.

"Good girl," he said before kissing my cheek.

Gabe, Dylan, and Noah all went out the back door. I looked up through the bars on the window above the sink. They were walking out toward the barn. I let go of the breath I was holding onto.

The basement door opened. Jenny looked over to the door, and I followed her gaze. Taylor was holding onto Emme. His arm was around her waist and he looked like he was the only thing keeping her on her feet.

Emme looked rough. Her curls were greasy and matted. Her eyes were red from crying. I could see that her wrists were raw and bleeding, and I knew she must have been fighting against the ropes. I did the same thing when I was stuck down there years ago.

Taylor pulled Emme forward and she stumbled. He bent down and scooped her up in his arms. Emme closed her eyes and did not try to push him away. He did not pay attention to us as he carried Emme up the stairs.

"I hope she's okay," I said quietly.

"She will be," Jenny said. "Taylor is going to take care of her."

I sighed and finished washing the last of the dishes. Jared pulled on my pant legs, and I looked down and he had his hands up wanting me to pick him up. I dried my hands on the towel before carrying him on my hip. Jared kept his thumb in his mouth and rested his head against my chest.

"Do you think her baby is okay?" I asked.

"We wouldn't do anything to hurt her baby," Jenny said.