Don't Believe Her

Emme helped us cook dinner, but Jenny was sure to keep her away from the knives. Emme jumped when she heard the kitchen door open. She squeezed her eyes shut and let out a shaky breath as she stirred the pot of stew.

Taylor walked across the kitchen and put his hands on her hips. He bent down to kiss her neck, but Emme pulled away. She turned and pushed her hands against his chest. He tried to pull her closer to him, but she raised her hand to slap him. Taylor snatched her wrist and twisted her arm at a painful angle.

Gabe put his arm around my shoulder and kissed my cheek. My heart was pounding as I watched Taylor twist Emme's arm and bring her to her knees in pain.

"Fuck you," she cried as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Do you really want to swear?" Taylor asked.

"Go to hell!"

Noah clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth as he shook his head. Taylor looked over at him, not letting go of Emme.

"You will really need to fix that nasty habit," Noah said.

Taylor took his knife out of his pocket. I did not want to watch this, so I turned and buried my face in Gabe's chest. He tightened his arm around me and kissed the top of my head. I flinched as I listened to Emme scream louder. It brought me back to the first few nights with Gabe. I was so scared and misbehaved so much that he had to punish me. It had been months since Gabe had to punish me.

"It's okay," Gabe whispered to me. "It's all over now."

I peeked past Gabe's chest to see Taylor dragging Emme up the stairs. I knew that he was going to rebandage her arm. I let out a deep breath and stepped back. Gabe leaned down and cupped my face in his rough hands.

"You're going to have to watch," he told me. "Just remember that it is to help Emme."

I bit down on my lip and nodded my head. He kissed me before letting go and taking a step back. He went to the bathroom to wash up as Jenny and I finished making dinner.

We all ate in silence, only Emme's cries echoing through the air. I was clearing the table when they came down the stairs. Emme's cheeks were stained with tears and she cradled her bandaged arm to her chest. Taylor pulled out her chair and forced her into the seat.

"I'll bring you two a plate, sweetheart," Jenny said to Taylor.

"Thanks," he said.

He sat next to Emme. Jenny piled two plates full of food and set it down in front of them. I watched them to see Taylor forcing a fork into Emme's hand. She shook her head. He grabbed a fistful of her hair and pulled her head back at a painful angle. He whispered something into her ear. She closed her eyes before nodding.

I helped Jenny clean up dinner. Gabe was leaning against the counter and watching us work. Noah was in the living room with Jared on his lap. I avoided looking back over at Taylor and Emme.

Once we were finished, Gabe drove us back to our house. I was happy being away from the farmhouse and seeing the fear on Emme's face.

--

I was tossing and turning throughout the night. Emme was so scared about being part of the family. I was just as scared the night when my friends, Finn, and I came to the farmhouse. Everything was so new and scary. Back then, I never thought that I would be this happy.

I propped myself up on my elbow and looked at Gabe. He was lying on his back. I watched as his chest would rise and fall with each breath. The key was resting against his bare chest. I leaned over and lightly brushed my knuckles across his cheek. He stirred and I cupped the side of his face with my hand. He groaned as his eyes fluttered open. His hand reached up and covered mine.

"What's wrong, Linds?" he asked.

"I was thinking about Emme," I said.

Gabe yawned and then wrapped his arms around me. He pulled me down onto his hard chest. I sighed and rested my head. He kissed my temple.

"I know it can be upsetting," he said. "She is going to learn."

"She said that you brainwashed me," I said.

He tightened his hold on me before letting out a deep breath.

"You don't believe that, do you?" he asked.

"I remember being so scared when I first came into the family," I said. "Why am I no longer scared?"

I bit down on my lip. It was a question, but it was one I needed to ask if I was going to get any sleep tonight.

"You are no longer scared because you realized that this is your family," he said. "It was hard for you to see at first, but now you can see the truth."

"Thank you for being patient with me," I said.

"Of course, sweetheart."

He kissed the top of my head.

"You are going to be good and not listen to the lies Emme says about this family, right?" he asked.

I pushed myself up so that I could look at the shadows casted across Gabe's face.

"I love it here," I said. "I would not take Emme's side."

"She'll see soon enough that she loves it here too," he said.

"I hope so. I hate to see her hurt."

"Taylor isn't hurting her. It is to help her. Have I ever hurt you?"

I sighed and laid my head back down on his chest. I could barely see the thick white scars on my arm in the dark. It hurt every time Gabe punished me, but I knew that he did not do it to harm me. It had been so long since he had to punish me. I had not given him a reason to be upset with me.

Gabe noticed my hesitation. He took my hand and kissed the back of my hand. His lips lingered on my skin before he rested my hand back on his chest.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I said.

"Now, let's get back to sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a good day."