Intrusion

It seemed like Gabe's alarm was going off minutes after I closed my eyes. I only got a couple hours of sleep and it was wearing down my already exhausted body. I stayed curled up in bed as Gabe walked around the room getting ready for the day.

He sat on the edge of the bed and shook my shoulder. I groaned and pulled the blanket up over my head. Gabe ripped the blanket off.

"You have to get up," he said.

"I'm so tired," I said.

"Mom is going to need help with breakfast," he said. "I already got your clothes out."

I yawned as I sat up. Gabe had one of my sundresses from home on the foot of the bed. I changed into it before stretching my arms up over my head. My muscles still ached.

Gabe laced his fingers through mine and pulled me out of the room. My feet dragged along the floor as we made it into the kitchen. Jenny was pulling a carton of eggs out of the fridge. Gabe kissed my temple before going into the dining room with Taylor and Dylan.

I helped Jenny cook breakfast. I was afraid to turn around and look at Noah when I heard him come down the stairs. I did hear him chuckle when he watched me yawn. Despite being able to sleep for two hours, exhaustion overtook my bones.

Gabe, Taylor and Dylan were talking as I brought in breakfast. I sat down next to Gabe. I glanced up to see Noah staring at me. He raised a brow and I knew that it was a silent warning. I had to pretend to be in love with Gabe to gain my basic rights, such as the right to sleep.

I raised my hand and put it on Gabe's shoulder. He stopped talking and looked at me with wide eyes. I forced a smile. I looked over at Noah to see him watching us.

"Are you alright?" Gabe asked.

I let out a shaky breath.

I had to play their game.

"I love you," I said.

The room fell silent. Gabe's jaw dropped. Jenny stopped in the doorway with a bowl in her hands. Noah was hiding a smile behind his hand as he leaned back in his seat.

"I love you too," Gabe said.

The words made my stomach clench. I swallowed past the lump forming in my throat. Everyone stayed still out of shock. I lowered my hand and grabbed a few strips of meat. I hoped they would all resume to normal.

"It's nice to see you settled," Noah said. "You belong to this family."

--

Days passed and I continued to pretend to love Gabe. I did not push him off of me when he would hold me. I forced myself to kiss him whenever he got near. I closed my eyes and pretended I was somewhere else when he forced himself on me at night.

The worst part would be when we were around Noah. He would raise a brow or clear his throat and I would initiate a romantic gesture. I would wrap my arms around Gabe or give him a quick kiss.

I was allowed to sleep at night, but my insomnia terrorized me. Flashbacks of Finn, Alyssa and Wyatt filled my mind. I was happy to be alive, but I may have been better off dead.

Cleaning and cooking with Jenny became my favourite part of the day. I was safe away from the men, and all I had to do was listen to Jenny's delusional rambling.

One day, I was in a blissful moment scrubbing the kitchen floor. Jenny was upstairs cleaning the bathroom, so I had a moment of silence.

The moment was over when I heard faint screaming.