chapter nineteen

Jonathan wasn't surprised to find everything in their home relatively the same. He knew Evan had difficulty with change, and after his dissapearance, there would be no chance of the leader moving even a pillow out of its original place.

One noticeable difference however, was the amount of teddy bears Evan had accumulated. They seemed to appear in whatever rooms the man used most.

He would've shrugged it off, yet he couldn't help but wonder why there were so many.

"Why are there so many bears in these rooms?" He asked.

Evan sighed, grabbing one to the left of his desk. "Well- an old friend of ours loved them. The guys and I have placed them around the house. Sentimental reasons, I guess..."

Jon hummed his repsonse, glancing around. His heart breaking  at Evan's words.

But damn were they going to be shocked.

Evan shrugged, placing the bear back in its place on his desk. He pulled open the desk drawer, rummaging through it for a moment.

"So, your team color. You can change it if you'd like, not sure how well you're liking the purple." He chuckled. "Of course blue isn't available- although you already knew that..." Evan mumbled, unsure of how to continue.

Jon nodded, not wanting to upset Evan. "I'm okay with the lavender. It's a nice color."

"Sure thing." The leader spoke with a soft smile. "Okay, the medical wing is at the end of this floor, the third floor are more bedrooms. The basement is the barracks where you will keep most of your weapons. We can get that set up for you once missions start back up. But really that's it for the tour." He finished with a shrug.

Jonathan nodded. "Would you mind if I still went to the roof?"

"Not at all." Evan answered, shaking his head. "But I won't make you get there the way you have been."

Jonathan chuckled, watching as Evan directed his attention to the owl figure on the desk.

"Just push the owl back, and the door will open. But be aware, Teddy knows how to open and close the door as well, so I hope she doesn't scare you." Evan laughed, planting a kiss on her head.

"Thank you, really." Jonathan whispered. "For everything."

He reached his hand out to shake Evan's, who pulled him into a hug instead. Tears filled Jon's eyes as he sank into the others warmth, not realizing how long it'd been since he was this close to Evan.

"You're family now." Evan mumbled before pulling away. "We don't dream to replace the one you once had, but we do hope you'll be happy here."

Jon sniffled, nodding. "I will be."

Evan smiled, breaking away from Jonathan completely. "Great! So dinner is in an hour. I hope you like cheeseburgers."

Jon watched him exit the room, then glanced back towards the floor, where Teddy sat happily.

"Hi princess." He spoke softly, ruffling her ears.

She leaned into his touch, obviously enjoying the comfort. A moment later, she broke away to get to Evan's desk. She reached up, moving the owl statue, revealing the door to the roof.