Chapter XV: In the Absence of Light Darkness Prevails

If Jack could’ve screamed, or shouted, or made any kind of noise pertaining to shock, confusion, sadness, or anger, he would’ve. But neither him nor Ray, the only two who were still conscious, really had any way to express their emotions, vocally or otherwise. The two just had to sit there, suffering and in agonizing pain as Michael sat frozen, Geoff slammed harshly into a tree, Gavin lay sprawled out on the ground twitching, and, worst of all, they had to watch as Ryan died.

He was most certainly not going to survive that fall, a great crack visible at the front of his skull, blood covering his face and chest, and his one leg and both wings bent and broken awkwardly. And they couldn’t even see the shape the back of his body was in, and that had taken the brunt the plummet.

Oh how surprised the two were when Ryan’s body began to magically heal itself.

His wings snapped back into place with slightly disturbing crunching sounds, the broken leg twisting to become correct again as well. The blood that had left Ryan’s body and splattered across his face and neck dried up, the crack in his head stitching itself back together. Any internal injuries Ryan had were healed as well, his body becoming perfectly healthy again. That was not all, though.

Ryan’s veins turned black with the physical darkness flowing through them, and his horns and claws began to glow red. Then deep black swirls appeared on his wings, and when his eyes shot open suddenly, the once pupiless grey eyes now had red rings around them.

Both Jack and Ray’s eyes widened when Ryan’s eyes opened, certain that he was going to die only moments ago. They were even more surprised when he stood from where his grave was to be, and launched himself into the sky, now glimmering red claws beginning to spark with energy.

The demon mage just cackled at Ryan, though, shooting more red lightning at him, though this time Ryan was able to dodge said attacks. He then charged at the demon, energy crackling fiercely between his fingertips as he did so.

The creature created its shield around it again, an evil smile spreading across its face as Ryan didn’t stop his charge and ran straight into the shield.

Unlike last time though, the shield failed to halt Ryan, who slashed right through it with his energy infused claws. The monster was thrown backward, confusion etching itself across its features, but Ryan had no mercy for the terrible creature that had made his friends and fellow vessels suffer.

With an earth shaking battle roar, the death vessel rushed forward, spearing the horrible demon mage on his horns, the creature letting out a terrible scream as it was impaled.

Ryan then backed up, the monster screeching as dark colored blood poured from the two wounds the death draconian had created in its chest. Ryan then struck the creature in its throat, feeling a wave of power wash over him as the demon frantically grasped its own throat, unable to breath.

The death vessel swiftly turned when he heard a noise behind him, and was surprised and relieved to find that the wave of power he had felt had released Jack, Ray, and Michael from the eternal torments the demon mage had placed on them. They smiled up at him proudly and gratefully, though Ryan could also see a hint of fear evident on their faces as well. And though he couldn’t quite blame them and didn’t, to his surprise, enjoy truly frightening his friends, he also couldn’t help but feel powerful and evil, as if he was some sort of king of madness.

Despite any of the debating thoughts raging inside Ryan’s mind, though, he just decided to shoot his fellow vessels an evil grin before turning back around and destroying the monster that had attacked him with his necromantic powers, instantly turning the creature into a puddle of bones, blood, and mangled flesh.

As soon as he did so, though, Ryan could feel the power draining from him, and slowly descended back on to the ground, falling to one knee as the power the darkness had given him left his body, leaving him back in his regular state, thankfully still healed.

By the time Ryan found enough strength to stand again, his wings and eyes again pure grey, his horns no longer glowing a menacing red, and his veins pumping blood rather than darkness again, he turned to see all five of his fellow vessels, all in varying states of health.

It didn’t matter though, because they had survived and could continue their quest.

And, after all, that was all that mattered now.