Chapter XXI: He Can See All

Gavin felt a shadowy hand grip his arm just before he was suddenly caught in a burst of green light. The brightness felt comforting around him, and after a few moments he suddenly felt like energy was being forcibly pumped through his body.

This feeling didn't hurt, it was just strange, and after a while, as he failed to notice the light beginning to diminish around him, Gavin abruptly felt extremely powerful.

He didn't know that he had been imbued with power, similarly to how the darkness had helped Ryan when he was in grave danger, and this light also worked in a comparable manner.

When the bright green light had encompassed and empowered Gavin, it had also changed his outwardly appearance. His veins turned green, he grew the horns of a stag, though his horns were a deep forest jade, Gavin had an olive colored cloak placed upon his shoulders, and a vibrant green bandana suddenly appeared covering his eyes, though the power instilled within him still gave him the ability to see in a way.

Gavin had been given the power of a wind mage, which gave him mastery of said element in every way, as well as heightened strength, speed, and agility, along with extremely enhanced vision that he didn't need his eyes to use.

This eyesight was what allowed the vessel to discover which dark being was the true shadow demon.

The creatures of darkness had only been stunned when the light green light had suddenly erupted, so they were quickly advancing again on Gavin as soon as said brightness had cleared.

This time, though, as Gavin watched the demons move toward him, something was different.

One of them had a strange green glow around it.

Taking the light as a hint that that was the true creature, Gavin launched the palm of his hand forward, a burst of wind exploding from it and knocking the green outlined shadow to the ground. The others were not phased though, so Gavin drew his bow and precisely launched arrows at them to keep them at bay as he made his way to the glowing demon.

The creature was struggling to get up, but when it caught sight of the wind draconian, it launched itself to its feet. Gavin shot an arrow at the being, but it caught it and snapped the projectile in half, so the vessel decided to stick to breath power based combat.

He threw tornadoes to begin with, trying to be careful not to hit his fellow vessels who were laying knocked out on the sidelines, though after a bit switched to using weaponry made of wind and other conjuring abilities, such as launching aerial blades. The demon was good at wielding its knife though, and held its own, the various other incarnations of the creature not helping to make Gavin's life easier either.

After quite some time though, the wind draconian was able to disarm the shadow demon of its shadow dagger, and switched to using the kind of magic that the green light had mostly gave him: hand-to-hand combat wind abilities.

Gavin shot bursts and balls of wind from his fingertips and fist fought with the shadow demon, the two pretty much on par for skill. The being and its clones seemed to tire after quite some time though, the sun was rising when this occurred, and Gavin was able to get in a good hit to the creature's chest.

As soon as he did a sharp spike of wind appeared to grow out of the draconian's closed fist, impaling the shadow. Gavin's foot then connected with the monster's waist, launching it across the clearing and into a tree. It was there that it died and then dissolved into particles of darkness, its many, undying replicas doing the same.

The other five vessels were beginning to wake at this point, groaning and clutching their heads and other injured body parts, and Gavin also began to lose his imbued power. It drained slowly, the wind vessel's green veins going back to normal first, then the horns on his head disappearing, before the cloak and bandana disintegrated last, taking Gavin's heightened senses and wind powers with them.

There was no pain in this procedure, thankfully, though it still forced the draconian to his knees due to the sudden weakness and knocked the wind out of him.

The wind vessel's friends and fellow vessels were surrounding him by then, making sure he was okay, and asking him what happened. Gavin was too tired to respond, though, and fell asleep on the spot due to fighting all night, forcing the six to wait until the next morning to continue journeying.

Once they did, the other five that had been incapacitated during the attack had to listen to the wind draconian go on and on about how he saved their lives and defeated the shadow demon. They were all sick of the bragging almost immediately, though they all did truly believe Gavin's story, even though it did sound a bit farfetched.

The five vessels were also grateful for Gavin's efforts, though there was no way in Hell that they would tell him so and stroke his ego.