Chapter 13 - Making Things Right

~ Jace's POV ~

As soon as I walked into Nikki's apartment, I dropped the shopping bags on the floor and collapsed onto her black, leather couch. Nikki may not dress like other girls, but she definitely shops like every other girl in Miami. Nikki had bought everything - from groceries to clothes to apartment decorations. She had went absolutely wild while shopping today.

It was fun, though. Spending time with Nikki at a shopping mall made me forget all my mistakes for a while and enjoy the moments I had with her.

"Get off my couch, Jace!" Nikki chucked an apple at me, one that we had bought today.

Even though we just had a huge meal at McDonalds, I took a bite of the apple and stayed put on the couch. "Maybe if we hadn't walked around the mall for three hours, I would have enough energy to stay standing on my feet."

"Don't forget, you still have to put all the groceries away." Nikki grinned, putting emphasis on the 'you'.

I grabbed the remote of the coffee table and flicked on the television. "I will - after I watch this." I gestured to the fishing programme, which did not interest me at all. "And finish my apple." I added.

"I'll be back after I change." Nikki disappeared into her bedroom and I turned my head back to the TV, however, my mind was elsewhere.

Nikki had let me back into my life after what I done. I knew she liked me and I didn't even bother taking her feelings into consideration when I made the decision to stay back with my parents. It was a stupid decision.

Nikki had changed, I guess that is my fault, but she still possessed the some of the same qualities as she did before.

She was still caring, forgiving, and strong. However, she had lost the happy and energetic vibe she used to have. That wasn't the worst part, though.

Nikki had lost her feelings for me.

She no longer liked me or saw me as a kind and goodhearted person. I didn't need Nikki to tell me that, I could see that all by myself.

Nikki interrupted my thoughts by jumping onto the smaller couch to my right. There was a long, awkward silence before she spoke.

"So, how was home?" Nikki asked, and then added, "Your parent's home, I mean."

"It was okay." I was scared to say the wrong thing and drive Nikki away again.

Nikki didn't say anything after that, so I decided to speak again.

"Look, Nikki." I sat up on the couch and turned my body towards her, "I don't want things to be awkward between us-"

Nikki cut me off. "I didn't want you to be gone for so long, but not everybody gets what they want. Right?"

I sighed, rubbing the back of my neck. "I'm sorry. I know that saying sorry a million times won't get us back to where we were, but I don't know what else to do."

Before Nikki could open her mouth, I added, "All I know is that I don't ever want to stay away from you for this long."

"Look, Jace." Nikki let out a deep breath. "Seven months ago, I had a stupid crush on you. That's all it was and now I feel nothing."

Her stare made me feel like my skin was burning. She raised her voice slightly, but she wasn't yelling. I probably wasn't even worth getting a sore throat over anymore.

"Now when I look at you," Nikki continued, "all I see is a liar. Someone who breaks their promises and doesn't value other people's trust."

I wanted to object but I had no argument, so I let Nikki continue to have a go at me.