Chapter 14 - Unexpected

~ Nikki's POV ~

Liam shoved a handful of pretzels into his mouth, chewed very quickly, and then asked Jace, "How was home? Did you get it on with at least a couple of your exes?"

Even though Jace and I weren't in a relationship, that question hit me with a pang of jealousy. Liam seemed to notice the awkward expression on Jace's face and cleared his through, "I mean, did you catch up with any of your old friends?"

"I spent most of the time with my family." Jace replied, "I wasn't interested in reconnecting with my past, all I wanted to do was come back home as soon as I could."

I felt like that statement was directed at me. Jace was indirectly telling me that Renee was a mistake. I took a sip of my drink, to pretend that it had no effect on me, everyone knew that I cared about what Jace did while he was gone.

Liam, Kyle and Jace began to talk about how baseball or some sport that disinterested Hailey and me. Hailey said she had so much to tell me about so we went into her room. When I walked in, I was surprised to see that my side of the room was quite messy. When I left, I had taken everything with me, so why was there clothes, makeup and shoes scattered on my old bed? Some of the clothes were pastel coloured, they were definitely not Hailey's.

"That is one of the many things I need to fill you up on." Hailey pointed to my old bed, seeming to notice my confusion.

"I'm all ears." I informed, taking a seat on the single bed.Hailey looked like she was choking on the information that she was about to tell me, making me very anxious. "Hailey, tell me. Please."

"I will, just promise me that you won't take it the wrong way or think that this is personal." Hailey voice came out like a half question, half demand.

"I promise." I gave her my word. I gave her a smile to show that I wasn't lying. "Now, speak!"

"Okay. Well, when you left, we were all convinced that neither you nor Jace would come back." Hailey looked at me, as if she was asking for permission to continue. I nodded and Hailey went on. "That's why we let another boy and another girl move in."

My mouth was shaped in an 'O', but I tried to take the least bit of offense I could since I had promised Hailey that I wouldn't take it personally.

"Um, do I get to meet these two new people?" I asked. However, I had a feeling that I wouldn't be very fond of them since they did practically replace me.

Stop it. You promised. My subconscious reminds me.

"They went to a party last night and haven't come back yet. You might see them since they shouldn't be too long."

Coincidently, the bedroom door opened and in walked a girl with long blonde hair and tanned skin. She was dressed in a tight, sparkly skirt that stopped in the middle of her thighs and a loose gold singlet tucked into the skirt.

She walked towards Hailey and I, very steadily in her black heels for someone who had been partying the night before.

"Hey, Hailey!" The blonde haired girl chirped, pulling Hailey in for a hug.

Then she looked over at me and gave me a bright smile, "I'm Kristen."

"Nikki." I said, forcing myself to smile back. "Nice to meet you."

I knew that I was being rude for no valid reason, but I couldn't help it.

"Nikki! I've heard so much about you. Hailey and the guys always keep going on about how cool you are and how much they miss you." Kristen informed me.