Chapter 1 - Enough Is Enough

Chapter 1 - Enough is Enough

~ Nikki's POV ~

The clock on the back wall of the bar read 11:35 pm. The smell of the pouring rain and liquor made my head throb, but I still sat in the same place I was a couple of hours ago - on a high stool at the counter of Waterhole Bar. The bar was supposed to close in 25 minutes, but the bartender - being my classmate, Brielle - would let me spend the night if I wanted. I wouldn't be here in the first place if it weren't for Ethan and my parents. My emind replayed the incident that had occurred at my 'home' just a few hours ago.

My phone buzzed and I answered the phone, knowing it would be Ethan, my boyfriend.

"Hello Mr Reed!" I said excitedly, referring to Ethan.

"Um, hey, Nikki. I need to talk to you." He had a certain tone to his voice, like tension. However, I passed it as nothing and continued our conversation.

"Sure," I said, "You know you can tell me anything."

"It has to be face-to-face, I'll be there in five." Ethan said and hung up without another word. That left me worried.

I sat down on the front steps and twirled my dark brown wavy hair, it was something I done whenever I was nervous or anxious. By the time Ethan arrived, I had bitten half my fingernails off and twirled my entire head of hair about 20 times.

I stood up to hug him, but he held out his hand to stop me. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and asked him, "What's the matter, Ethan?"

"We need to break up." That's all he said, no reason, nothing. He just wanted to leave me.

I stood there with my mouth gaped open like a bird. My mind froze completely- I didn't know what to say, I just stood there with tears forming in my eyes, making my vision blurry.

"I'm sorry, Nikki. I can't do this anym---." I cut him off before he embarrassed me further.

"Just leave, Ethan." Those were my last word before I turned around and slammed the door shut.

I ran up the stairs and went straight to my bedroom. I sunk to the floor and the tears streamed down my face uncontrollably. I hadn't made any mistake, I didn't cheat on him, I didn't lie to him. I was always loyal and what do I get for that? A breakup, a FREAKING breakup!

It was only then it occurred to me how hopeless I was. I couldn't do anything perfectly, that's probably why my family relationship was never strong. Today, it was one argument too many. I just couldn't handle it anymore. So I left. I left my mum, my dad and my twin sister Julie. Not that it mattered, they're most likely better off without me. The entire fight stayed in my head. Every single nasty word.

"Nikki! For god's sake, get down here for dinner!" She screamed out loud, which made it seem like I was in another neighbourhood and not my bedroom.

"Coming." I called back. I wiped my tears and made sure there was no sign of sadness - I had too much self-pride for that.

We sat quietly at the dinner table, eating roasted chicken and vegetables. It was what we had for dinner every Sunday evening. The only sound that could be heard was the click and clacks of the knives and forks, until I accidently dropped my glass of water and it shattered. That's when my mum started her tantrum.

"Seriously, Nikki! You spend the majority of the day at school and locked up in your room but when you do come down, you have to wreck one thing or another! Honestly, sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I wanted to have a baby daughter! Why can't you be like Julie?"

Dad didn't even put down his cutlery, he just continued eating. Julie was silent but the pride was shown clearly on her face.

My mum knew that I wasn't in the best place right now, she had seen me run up the stairs right after Ethan broke up with me. Couldn't she just give me a break? I built up the courage to speak back for the first time in a long time.

"Stop comparing me, Mum! I can't be like Julie and I can't be like you. I can't be perfect!" I yelled. That's when my dad decided it was time to be the man of the house.

"Do not talk to your mother like that, Nikki." He said in a low, stern voice.

"What about when she talks to me like I'm her pet dog?!" I questioned, my anger was building up.

He opened his mouth to say something but I didn't want to hear it.

"Have a good life without me." I said, staring at all three of them intently. With that, I stormed out of the house and didn't look back. And none of them came after me.

Most people would be happy they lived in a big, white mansion with twenty bedrooms, two tennis courts and many, many servants who done all the chores. They'd be glad to be the well-known daughter of rich businessman, Thomas Brien and have a twin sister. But that wasn't the case for me. It was true that my family had more money that anyone in Miami and that I had an identical twin sister named Julie, but I didn't like that. Every time we discussed something, money would get involved and I'd be compared to Julie. When I went to school, I plastered a fake smile and was prepared to act like I was a perfect rich girl who had everything she wanted.

Half an hour after the argument, I found myself sitting in front of Brielle who gave me a couple of shots and ensured me that I'd feel better after that. And I did. The pain subsided and I told myself that the situation wasn't worth crying over. But now my mind was coming back to reality and I didn't want that. I had three more shots and knocked out right on the bar counter.

I woke up to the sound of a bottle smashing and the mumbling of a male. I turned my head and sat up straight to see a guy, about 16 or 17 years old, who was clearly wasted. His hair was ruffled and his eyes were practically closed from fatigue. His body needed sleep but his mind craved more alcohol.

He looked at me, confused, and I looked around for Brielle, who obviously wasn't here since it was 3 am.

"You don't... look like you... work here," he said with breaks in his speech, "I'm Jace."

-------

A/N : So, guys, this is the first chapter of my first book! Please let me know of any grammar issues. I hope you enjoyed it, if you did then please vote, comment and keep reading! xx