Chapter1

ABUJA,NIGERIA..
Yesmeen....
"I was awoken by the sweet sound of birds chirping outside my window. As dawn's light crept in, I rubbed my bleary eyes and swung my legs over the side of the bed. Walking towards the window, I gently pushed it open, and a fresh, fragrant breeze rushed in. Taking a deep breath, I savored the scent of life after the rain. It is a colorful morning, full of new beginnings.

A smile spread across my face as I pulled back the curtains and stretched. Glancing at the clock on my wall, I saw it is 8:00 am. As I turned away from the window, I almost tripped and knocked over a picture frame on my dresser. I picked it up, and my gaze fell upon the photo, now a cherished memory.

"I often wonder why we forget the people we once called friends without hesitation. We forget their charming smiles, their kindness, and the memories we shared. It's as if our friendship is lost in the sands of time. Some things are only meant to be memories, and it's hard to accept that.

Tears stream down my cheeks as I realize that nothing can be undone, and nothing can be forgotten. Yet, I know that with time, I will forget him - his face, his voice, everything. It's a painful truth. I want to hold on to the beautiful memories forever, but it's a bittersweet feeling, knowing that he may have already forgotten me. He moved away to a new state without even saying goodbye.

"We all live in our own past, where memories linger. People may take a minute to get to know someone, an hour to like them, and a day to fall in love. But in the end, they'll spend a lifetime trying to forget. Forgetting the memories, the laughter, and the moments shared. It's like losing a vital connection, a best friend, a piece of yourself. The pain of a broken friendship feels like being torn apart, leaving jagged edges that can never be made whole again.

These tears hold the unspoken rules, the silent hugs, and the now-tainted memories we once shared. Maybe losing contact with my best friend for almost five years is my way of finally letting go. Accepting that time and circumstance have taken their toll, and that sometimes, even the deepest connections can fade away.

"The kind of best friend I was proud to have by my side for so long, despite all we'd been through together. He knew just how to offer tough love and advice without ever hurting me. Whenever I needed him, he is always there, even if it is just to listen to me sob on the phone for hours. His presence is comforting in a way that's impossible to put into words. It is like spending the whole day fighting against the waves and finally being able to float back to shore.

But then, one day, everything turned upside down and shattered. He moved on without even telling me. It made me realize that our friendship wasn't as true as I thought. It is a painful awakening, like losing a part of myself. I'm left wondering how someone who was once my rock could just disappear without a word.

"I stood up, wiping away my tears, as I heard my mom's cheerful voice: 'Rise and shine, Yesmeen! Rise and shine!' I quickly scrambled back into bed, covering myself with the blanket and pretending to be asleep.

Here is the beautiful princess, sleeping peacefully! Wake up, dear, it's morning!'

I mumbled in a sleepy voice, 'Mommy, let me sleep...' But she reminded me, 'Don't you have school today? And you definitely don't want to miss your flight!' That made my eyes flutter wide open! 'Oya, wake up!' she exclaimed, pulling off the covers. She placed the incense burner on the floor and I gently got out of bed, wrapping my arms around her from behind in a warm hug.

Good morning, first love...

Good morning, dear. "Oya, go take your bath, don't you remember you booked an early flight?" my mom asked, as I walked towards the bathroom, stripping off my PJs. I took a hot shower, came out, and rubbed cream all over my skin. I then walked towards my closet, brought out jeans, a black top, jacket, and veil, and dressed up in them. I applied some powder and put on some lip gloss. Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I wondered, "