Chapter19

Some weeks later..
Ammar...
"This girl is actually mad,I silently hiss shutting my phone volume down.

"You're also mad why the hell will you call someone daughter a mad person,?
You won't understand brother am serious the girl has gone mad already
Ameera?he questioned.

"I lay down on the bed,not Ameera but yesmeen is definitely mad.
Kai de kasani he said standing up as he left the room I pick up my phone seeing her messages 20new messages
- "Ammar, you're ignoring me."
- "I'm sorry, please pick up my call."
- "Ammar, please."
- "Ammar, you know I can't marry you because of Ameera."
- "Please, Ammar, if Ameera finds out, she won't take it lightly with me."
- "My friendship with her would be ruined."
- "Ammar, pick up the call or else..."
- "Okay, you know what? I'm not gonna talk to you ever again."
- "Won't you pick up the call?"
- "Ammar, please say something. I'll talk to my dad."
- "Okay, fine." I replied to her.

And then she goes, "So you decided to reply to me? I knew it, damn it. You want mom to scold me. Okay, fine. That's all you'll say? Thank you? You're really showing me where I belong."

"I've had enough of Yesmeen's nonsense .
She's been acting irrationally, refusing to get married because of some unfounded fear of Ameera. Their friendship is on the brink of collapse, and I'm exhausted from trying to mediate. With our wedding just a month away, I'm done trying to understand her behavior.

I'll proceed with the wedding, and if they want to fight, that's not my concern. Yesmen wants to meet me, but her mother won't let her out. She's always been stubborn, and I don't get what's going on in her head.One minute she's crying about not wanting a rival, the next she's refusing to budge. She's really testing my patience."

I stood up, took a bath, and changed into fresh clothes, preparing myself for a trip to the hospital. Yesmeen has called me 15 times, but I ignored her and shoved my phone into my pocket. I grabbed my car keys and slipped out of the house before my mom sees me.

I am still reeling from the argument with my parents two weeks ago. My father had slapped me two times, and my mom has insisted that I add more to the bridal price for Ameera, refusing to consider the other girl I have mentioned. I have replied that only God knows the truth, and now I am  seeking refuge at my cousin Anty Bilkisu's house before heading to the hospital.

I left the house in silence, trying to escape the tension and drama that has become my life.

*******************
As I sat in my office, lost in thought about the marriage, a knock at the door broke my concentration. I didn't respond, too engrossed in my thoughts. But the door burst open, and Yesmeen stormed in, her face red with anger.

"What was that?" I asked, leaning back in my chair, watching her reaction.

"What are you trying to do, Ammar?" she demanded, tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm telling you for the last time, Ammar, I won't marry you. You're trying to come between me and Ameera, aren't you?"

I sighed, standing up and shoving my hands into my pockets. "Just stop it, Yesmeen.

Why can't you understand? Do you know what I'm going through? Do you know what Ameera would think of me? She'll never understand me, no matter what. I beg of you, Ammar, please do something."

As I walked towards her, she backed away, her eyes fixed on mine. We stood there, locked in a silent stare-down, until she finally reached the wall and couldn't retreat further.

"You don't want to get married because of Ameera, right?" I asked, my voice firm but calm.

"Right now, this marriage will be off! Don't worry, I'll leave you in peace," I spat angrily, fumbling for my car keys. I find the right one, started the engine, and pulled out of the driveway, speeding down the street with Yesmeen crying in the passenger seat. Her tears didn't faze me. I gripped the steering wheel tightly, my jaw clenched, but then forced myself to relax, loosening my grip and unclenching my jaw.

Yesmeen's eyes were fixed on me, her sobs filling the car. "Where are you taking me?" she asked, her voice shaking.

"I'm taking you to your parents' house," I replied, my tone firm. "Let's tell them the truth that you don't want to get married because I'm your friend's fiancé and your best friend. Marriage between us is forbidden, so let's end this charade."

"Ammar, no, please!" She begged, her eyes wide with fear as we approached her parents' house . "I snuck out, my mom doesn't even know I'm gone!"

I ignored her pleas and continued driving, but she grasped both of my hands, her grip tight. "What the hell are you doing? You want us to get into an accident?" I shouted, trying to shake her off.

"Yes, it's better we both die!" she screamed, her voice hysterical. "No, I won't let go, Ammar! Please, my mom will kill me if she finds out, especially if my dad hears about this!"

I tried to pry her hands off mine, but she had tight. "Let go, Yesmeen! We're going to crash!" I yelled, seeing a tree looming ahead. But it was too late. Our car crashed into the tree, and Yesmeen's scream filled the air as we hit.

I opened my eyes, groggily, my head throbbing from the impact. Yesmeen is  slumped against me, her head raised, her eyes closed. I tried to speak, but my voice is  barely a whisper. "Yesmeen...are you okay?"

"Oh my Allah, Ammar, you're bleeding!" She screamed, trying to touch my head. But I shoved her hand aside, wincing in pain. "Don't touch me!" I snapped.

She looked crestfallen, but she tried again, mumbling, "Come here, let me help you." She wiped away the blood with her veil, her eyes brimming with tears. "I'm sorry, Ammar. Please, say something. I didn't mean for this to happen."

I pushed her aside and grabbed the first aid box from the back seat, treating my own wounds. "Ammar, Yesmeen, please, not a word again. Look what you've caused. Are you happy now? Are you satisfied?" I gritted my teeth, trying to contain my anger.

Yesmeen's face is etched with fear and regret. "Please, Ammar, I'm sorry. I don't know what else to do. I'm scared of mom, please, Ammar." She cupped my cheeks, her eyes pleading. "Can't you even forgive your best friend? Ammar, please, talk to me, say something."

I glared at her, my heart still racing from the accident. "We're getting married, and that's all. If you agree, then I forgive you." My voice is cold, detached, but Yesmeen's face lit up with hope.

"But Ammar, getting married? What about Ameera? And remember, we're not even lovers. How do you think this marriage will work out?" She  asked, her voice laced with skepticism.

Yesmeen's eyes locked onto mine, her face a picture of uncertainty. But I took her hands in mine, my grip reassuring. "This marriage will work out, Yesmeen. Trust me. And with time, I'll make you fall head over heels for me."

I can see the fear in her eyes, the doubts lingering in her mind. "Ameera? Just forget about her for now. Just think of it as you and me, alone in this world." I pulled her close, my shoulder a comforting embrace. "Don't be scared, Yesmeen. I'm here for you, always and forever as I spoke, her eyes closed, her head leaning into my shoulder. I can  feel her tension easing, her body relaxing into my embrace. And in that moment, I know I have to make this work, for both our sakes....