Chapter12

Two month later
Yesmeen..
As the rain fiercely lashed against the windows, nature's fury is on full display. I racked my brain, trying to remember if I have closed all the windows. The rhythmic sound of the rain lulled me into a trance-like state. Suddenly, a flash of lightning illuminated the room, and I anxiously counted the seconds until the thunder roared overhead.

"This is my favorite time of the year," I thought to myself. "The days grow darker earlier and earlier." Outside, the wind howled, and a smile spread across my face. Just then, a knock echoed at the door, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Mom," I exclaimed as I locked eyes with her. "Dad is calling you."

I nodded in response, realizing that it had been exactly two months since I returned home. The prospect of being alone made me feel uneasy, and I longed for the company of Yussy and Ameerah.

With only my mom and me in the house, the atmosphere felt dull. It had been exactly one week since Dad returned, and I can't shake the feeling that something is amiss. They're keeping secrets from me.

Slipping my feet into my shoes, I descended the stairs and made my way to the living room. There, I find  my dad sitting on the couch, his gaze fixed on the TV. For some unknown reason, my heart started racing faster.

"Princess," he called, turning his face towards me.

"Yes, Dad," I replied, looking down.

"You know I will never make a decision that isn't in your best interest," he said. "As your father, I know what's right and wrong for my daughter, and I know you always respect my decisions."

"Yes, Daddy," I responded, feeling a mix of confusion and apprehension.I can't comprehend where this conversation was heading.

"We are going to meet a potential suitor and his family tomorrow," he continued. "We will discuss the possibility of arranging your marriage with him."

His words hit me like a ton of bricks, leaving me speechless. My tongue felt paralyzed, and my voice seemed to vanish. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and felt the sweat trickling down my face. My heart pounded loudly in my chest, and my breaths became shallow and harsh.

"I couldn't believe it when he mentioned marriage. I'm not prepared for this, especially an arranged marriage with a complete stranger. Panic and fear washed over me as I struggled to find the right words to say.

"Okay," I managed to answer, my fingers nervously fidgeting. "May Allah bless you, ,"

Ameen daddy I whispered with a cracked voice, forcing a smile before rushing to my room and slamming the door in anguish.

Overwhelmed by emotions, I can't hold back my frustration any longer. I grabbed a flower vase and hurled it against the wall, shattering it into countless pieces.

Sitting there, tears streaming down my face, I reflected on the important moments of my life. I wasn't ready for this. I didn't want to marry someone I didn't know. What if he's a drunkard, an old man, or already has someone he loved? I screamed at the top of my lungs, questioning why I can't I marry someone I actually like.

Just then, my mom entered the room, and I clung to her tightly. "Mom, please talk to Dad. I don't want to get married now," I pleaded.

She hold me gently and reassured me, "Listen, princess, we will never do anything to harm you.

"No, Mom!" I shouted, my voice trembling. "I don't want any of this. I'd rather die than marry someone I don't even know."

Feeling helpless and overwhelmed, I collapsed against the inner wall of the door, closing my eyes as tears rolled down my cheeks.