CHAPTER SEVEN | MIDNIGHT

CHAPTER SEVEN
MIDNIGHT

CHAPTER SEVENMIDNIGHT

✧✧✧

The monarchs and lady had gathered together around the dining table just in time for supper that very same night. The High King had endured all of the meetings that kept him occupied the entire week, and had been eager to sit down with his family and enjoy his meal. Meanwhile, Queen Susan had arrived from her late meeting over tea several hours after her departure to the town village.

Only three of the monarchs, however, were in attendance that supper. Edmund Pevensie had been the one missing (as expected), and when he finally showed up, he hadn't come by himself. Instead, Alistair Ashford had come with him. Curious enough, one of them had been carrying a book.

After Edmund had taken a seat to his brother's left, Peter turned to him; his voice cutting through the silence that had settled between them all. "You've been training till now?" he asked, taking a sip of his golden goblet.

Edmund merely shrugged, and replied rather dryly, "Looks like it." Apparently, he was in no mood to talk at all.

Thus, with that, the dinner finally commenced.

Rose Lovell, sitting to Susan's right, reached for her goblet, before a subtle nudge to her leg made her focus on the boy sitting across from her. Alistair caught her eye across the table, tilting his head to the side as though to ask her something. But she merely shook her head, and promptly returned to her goblet, offering a kind smile.

Susan was the one to speak next. "How was the meeting, Pete?" she asked.

Peter seemed to sigh. "Difficult," he muttered, digging into his meal.

"Why is that?" Lucy sweetly asked.

Peter hesitated answering his younger sister's answer, seeing how the soldier was now present. Yet he responded, nonetheless. "Well, the lords were concerned with their safety; considering more of the witch's followers were found in hiding and gathering more Narnians in the east."

Susan watched him with interest, and Edmund perked up at this. "We can send a search party," he quickly suggested.

"We are," Peter glanced at everyone present at the table, "At least that was what I had suggested."

"Maybe we can send the gryphons to search and locate them first."

Everyone's attention settled on the young lady that had just spoken, and she shifted in her seat. When Peter beckoned her to continue, Rose felt encouraged. "Then we will know their exact location and ambush them quicker," she finished her suggestion.