CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE | AWAY

AWAY

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREEAWAY

✧✧✧

And so, she stood under the dazzling candlestick chandelier in the middle of the dance floor, watching how Edmund Pevensie's slim figure maneuvered it's way through the crowd of Narnians, and disappeared behind the grand doors of the ballroom.

With her mouth slightly agape, Rose released a breath and took hold the blue fabric of her skirts and moved in direction of the Dining-Hall. Where, as she expected, tables upon tables filled with many traditional dishes and desserts would be waiting patiently for the guests; and where many lavish goblets, and a great assortment of beverages would accompany them.

Oh, at last!

It was time for the guests to make their way to the Dining-Hall, and Rose could not be more grateful. Her stomach grumbled underneath the blaring chatters of the nearby conversations, and a smell of flowery fragrances flooded the atmosphere as she made her way through the sea of vivid gowns, suits, and their extravagant masks.

Frankly, her stomach ached as she pressed her forearms against it in hopes it would quiet it down, but instead, it had done the opposite. She'd been glad the animated chattering had been loud enough for them not too hear the sound of her grumbling stomach, but, it had become so loud that you wouldn't be able to hear what the other person opposite to you had been saying.

When Rose had finally slipped through the parted double-doors, the Northern hall of the castle had fallen so quiet that her ears had to take several minutes to get used to the calming ambience of the hall. But, alas, the grumbling of her stomach had been heard more, so, she prayed she would not encounter anyone around the halls. Yet still, the buoyant voices of the Narnians sharing roars of laughter could be heard from within the ballroom.

As Rose had made her way to the Dining-Hall through an entirely different route, she slipped the shimmering blue mask from her face, and let it rest on the palms of her hands. Even her legs had ached from the long waltz she had shared with Edmund Pevensie; and, may I add, one that still replayed in her restless mind like an endless loop.

What she had failed to notice was the small smile imprinted on her features as she strolled through the long solitary hallway, remembering what might have happened if only they had stayed in the hall for a few more seconds.

My, what an experience! Sure, she had attended many balls in the past, but none of the many waltzes shared with foreign lords, and Narnians, had made her heart soar with euphoria, and caused her to feel excitement rushing through her veins like she had felt that night – during the start of the waltz with a certain King. She only hoped the opportunity would come a second time. Needless to say, as she mindlessly strolled alone, the ache of her stomach was soon replaced with the familiar giddy butterflies from earlier that evening.