CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT | AMORE

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
AMORE

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHTAMORE

✧✧✧

It was one bleak morning of early October that she awoke with an overwhelming desire to not attend breakfast. It wasn't as if she would be punished for not attending, thus, she supposed she could just... skip it, or at least avoid eating until she felt much better. She awoke with a sudden ache in her bones and limbs, and with the urge to just stay in bed all day, but alas, she knew she could not. She would have to get out of bed eventually, because even though Susan Pevensie had told her countless times that she had other handmaidens to help her get ready the mornings she didn't feel well enough, Rose just couldn't not help her.

It was simply not in her nature. And Rose had this trait about her where she would neglect her own needs for others; she couldn't help it. Thus, it wasn't until well after breakfast that Rose reluctantly kicked the silk bed-sheets off her and left the comforts of her unusually soft bed for the lavatory. A deep sigh escaped her lips when she reached the vanity, and she ran her fingers through the mass of her hair to rest them upon her eyes and let out yet another sleepy, tired sigh.

She sunk her face in the bowl of cold water she had brought from the lavatory; rubbing her eyes in hopes of washing away any evidence that she hadn't slept as well as other nights. The refreshing water felt cold against her warm skin, and it immediately seemed to have an effect, helping her wake up. Brushing the remaining cold splashes of water, she looked at her reflection in the mirror. Droplets slid down her damp cheeks, landing atop the basin and creating soft ringlets in the accumulated water.

Rose furrowed her eyebrows when she looked down at the water-filled basin, and her own reflection did not blink back at her, but instead, that of the majestic Lion's. She was taken aback at this, watching the water-ringlets disperse and reappear again when she dipped her finger in the water. His serene reflection watched back at her for a mere second before her finger made contact with the water, and it disappeared again. It wasn't until she looked back at the mirror that she would see Him again; this time, much more clearer, and somehow, much more majestic.

Rose released an airy laugh of relief, seeing the Lion in front of her (well, in the mirror) had instantly made her feel better; as though his presence had an immediate effect on her. But the expression on Aslan's fierce face did not match the one of relief Rose had. She took a glance at her rooms, and then back at the mirror, and instead of watching her own reflection, she watched His; a grave expression upon him that washed away the bright smile that Rose wore.

She didn't get it. What happened? "Oh, my Aslan, it is so wonderful to see you again," she said, nonetheless, with visible relief. "So much has happened last month, and—and there is so much I wish to tell you about the prophecy and what I have found, that I—hold on... what is the matter? Has—has something happened?" she asked Him, hands going slack as Aslan watched her with that grave expression that did not seem to falter.