CHAPTER EIGHT | ROSE

CHAPTER EIGHT
ROSE

CHAPTER EIGHTROSE

✧✧✧

It had been a glorious day for the young Lady, monarchs, and Narnian court as Rose strolled through the never-ending corridors. Autumn had been approaching fairly quickly, and the warm summer breezes, blue skies, and sun had been gracefully fading into nothing more than chilly afternoons and mornings. The sun had begun to shine less than during the summer, and the sky's once cerulean color had been tainted with the lightest of blue hues as the clouds began to invade the sky.

Needless to say, October being just around the corner had been something the monarchs and the Narnian folk had been dreading ever since the blissful coronation of the Pevensie siblings, and the hundred-year reign of the White Witch.

Though despite the dread falling upon the monarchs' usual joyful demeanor, the young Rose Lovell's ever-so cheerful facade never seemed to have faltered. With her bright spirits, she would enter the dinning hall alongside the oldest Queen, and their days would brighten up. But somehow, the tense feeling that always seemed to linger around Edmund Pevensie never seemed to fade. Not even Rose's contagious smiles seemed to whisk those feelings away as they did on his siblings.

Rose had attempted, countless times before, to strike up a conversation with Edmund Pevensie. But the intimidating and miserable front he would put on, whenever winter seemed to roll around always had caused her to cower away. Though the scowls and nasty glances he would throw at her direction were rather irksome to her, it had become her mission to learn the reason Edmund would always hide within his quarters during the wintertime.

And for the past two years since her arrival to the magical world of Narnia, Rose had resulted unsuccessful. But that had been the only aspect driving her to learn more about the quiet Just King. Yet still, despite her countless attempts at striking a conversation, it would almost always end up with her talking with herself, or Edmund somehow creating an excuse to wriggle out of the conversation before it had even begun.

There had been several moments where Rose would drag herself to the abandoned library, after a long day of duties, to complain about the king's behavior towards her to Alistair Ashford. The soldier would simply nod and send her a few words of encouragement and comfort, whilst Rose laid on the couch in front of the fire with a new book on her lap each week.

However, since her attempts would result in vain, she decided to let the matter go and focus on her duties. She had been waltzing all the way to the southern wing with newfound joy, greeting the maids and Lords that would stroll by, sending them each a kind smile to continue with her journey. Clad in a golden gown and a coat draped over her shoulders, her skirts swayed with her every step.

When Rose had reached the bustling corridors of the wing, she slipped inside the private quarters of Queen Susan, and gently shut the door behind her before she disappeared inside the room.