CHAPTER EIGHTEEN | INVITATION

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
INVITATION

CHAPTER EIGHTEENINVITATION

✧✧✧

It had been precisely a week before the masquerade ball was going to be held the following Saturday, and the Narnians could not be more thrilled for the day to arrive. The Gentle's inquisitive Lady had awoken that morning in the chilly October with a wish: she wanted to ask the queens if they could send out invitations to the fellow ladies of Archenland to the ball. To which the queens had happily complied and promptly send them out, moments after breakfast that day had culminated.

The Lady, then, was to wait for the royal's ladies' response and confirmation of their attendance to the ball.

The morning of the 25th of October had been quite busy. The many halls of the castle were crowded with the maids preparing the rooms – the ones that were to be used for the ball – and the four monarchs were each occupied with many of their duties. Whether it was meetings, documents, or even short outings. And as for Lady Rose, she'd been tasked with heading to the seamstress yet again. The week prior she had gone to notify the Head Seamstress, Miss Amna, of the queens' and her costume for the event. And then, several days later, she returned to take her measurements.

She was quite excited for the event. So, she woke up that morning with newfound energy to finish her duties earlier than usual. And as she had been doing so, the golden necklace that hung around her neck reminded her of her upcoming birthday in March. Rose smiled, and her fingers clasped around the cold gemstone of the necklace, as she made her way through the swarming halls of Eastern hallway.

Rose lifted her hand to rap on the lavish door that led to the vast room of the seamstress's – where she muffled voices had echoed from the inside. She had been about to lift her fist and knock again, when the door swiftly flew open and revealed the seamstress's visitor. Her mouth quickly parted, and she dipped in a low curtsy. The youngest king emerged from within the bright room, matching an equally shocked expression.

"Your Majesty. Oh, what a surprise!" Rose mumbled by the time she'd risen from her curtsy, her lips still partly agape. And when Miss Amna finally shut the door behind the king, the Lady let out a breath of relief and turned to Edmund Pevensie.

He chuckled humorlessly and shrugged. "Fancy seeing you here."

"Ah, well, you know," Rose gestured at the closed door leading to the seamstress's, "what else would I be here for?"

"Well, perhaps to see me?" Edmund jested, his gaze wandering elsewhere as his hand dug deeper into his pockets. He fought the need to grin.

"Hm, wouldn't you like to know, Your Majesty?" Rose quickly replied before glancing at the door with a short laugh. "It's best if I go; Miss Amna is expecting me." She smiled, walking to the door after the king had moved, for he had been blocking it moments prior.