CHAPTER SIXTEEN | CLIFFSIDE

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CLIFFSIDE

CHAPTER SIXTEENCLIFFSIDE

✧✧✧

The second the High King had requested for the Gentle's Lady to join them for the horse ride, her heart beamed with pure joy, and she could not wait but rush to help Queen Susan get dressed for the evening out. Peter had informed her right after breakfast that morning had culminated. Since then, she had been beaming, offering plenty of enthusiastic good mornings to the lords, maids, or anyone she encountered in the halls of the grand castle. She just could not wait to join the royal siblings on the short outing.

Rose had rushed to the queen's bed chambers, and promptly began to style Susan's dark locks appropriately for the occasion, with, of course, a smile on her features that seemed to light up the room.

Just then, the Valiant's voice rang through the room, announcing her arrival joyfully. She entered the room skipping and had already had her ladies help her dress appropriately for the outing. "Are you finally ready, Su?" Her blue eyes searched for the pair standing by the vanity across the bedroom. "Oh, Su, you must hurry, for Pete and Ed are already waiting for us!"

"Just a minute, Lu!" Rose said, struggling with one of the golden hairpieces stuck in a forceful knot in the queen's hair. "I'm afraid one of the hairpieces has gotten... stuck." The Lady took a step back from Susan as she plopped down on the vanity's stool to tie her boots underneath her floor-length dress.

"Oh, no—! Here, let me help." Lucy rushed to their side, taking care of her older sister's hair and her Lady busying herself tying the queen's right boot.

Rose's expression fell; just what they needed, something to slow them down. They were supposed to be waiting for the kings by the entrance of the castle, but when Susan made a swift movement, her Lady's hand slipped and, somehow, the golden hairpiece she had been holding stuck in her hair. The Lady had mentally cursed at herself and even considered not going on the outing as a punishment of slowing down the process and, as Rose had said, ruining the plans. For as Lucy had said, they were already running late.

Lucy smiled victoriously; "I've got it, do not worry, Ro," She had said when her eyes diverted to the solemn Lady kneeled down tying her sister's boots carefully. "Now, we must leave, for Peter will be mad if we don't."

And with that, the three young girls rushed to the entrance of the majestic Cair Paravel without hesitation, not daring to test their elder brother's temper, for after all, they were late. And, upon arriving to the familiar doors of the entrance, the High King had been pacing back and forth on the space between the two horses, muttering several words to his brother that had been all too busy adjusting his saddle.

It was when his youngest sister's cheerful voice called out to him that made the creases on his forehead disappear. She rushed to her horse's side just as Peter looked up from the ground, and a tiny smile stretched on his face. "We're here, Pete! Wait up!"