CHAPTER ELEVEN | ATTACK

NOTE: mentions of blood.
happy reading!

✧✧✧

CHAPTER ELEVEN
ATTACK

CHAPTER ELEVENATTACK

✧✧✧

She had stretched her arms when she flipped yet another rough page of the prophecy book. She was sprawled on the velvet loveseat, bathing in the warmth the  fireplace radiated, with a wool blanket wrapped around her waist and legs. The heavy book was resting on her lap, and her eyes were keen to read every page she could all in that same night, regardless of the lateness of the hour. The only sound in the library was the flipping of the pages, and the rather comforting popping of the wood, along with the faint crickets' chirps; the trees ruffling against each other caused by the cold, strong gusts of breeze that accompanied the approaching autumn.

Rose had turned the page slowly, letting the words from the previous pages sink in; it had been very late, and she was supposed to be asleep by then, but the ever-so curious young girl refused to sleep a wink without sneaking in the abandoned library to take another look at the remaining pages of the ancient prophecies she had yet to look. And when she had turned the page, the words had caught her eye and she returned to the previous page to inspect it once again.

The words had been fading away, and the gold ink of the words were not as visible as from the other pages', it was almost as if someone had wet the page in hopes the letters would disappear, or get blurry at least. Her brow rose and she squinted her eyes, tilting the book towards the soft light of the flames.

The words had read 'Son of Adam' in the top of the thick page written with golden ink. Her brows knitted together and she read on, aloud this time. "'When light meets dark, light will defeat darkness, but not without a little deceit and harnessed power,'" Her words had echoed softly when she murmured them. She brought a hand to her face to rub the sleep slowly overtaking her. Her worn out brain had not permitted any of the words to sink in her brain completely. She took a breath and decided she would just take another look at the page when the morning came—which would be in a few hours.

Rose shut the book closed, forgetting to place a bookmark or something to mark the page, for her head had not been thinking straight at that hour. She hid the heavy book behind several stacks of a variety of books, where Alistair Ashford had initially found it in a lonesome corner several weeks prior.

She had wrapped her coat around her arms, and as she remembered she could not be seen in the restricted area of the library, so, she promptly took out the fire and tiptoed toward the large doors of the room; scanning the lounge area before doing so in case she had forgotten something lit up. She yawned, and took the candlestick with her to light her way through the solitary corridors of the southwest wing. When she had stepped out into the chilly hall, she swore she spotted a shadow lurking in one of the corners.