Chapter Thirty Seven

I grab Chris's hand and start to run. "What about Zodiac?!" He asks me. I stop, find Zodiac in a world record time,put him on my shoulder,and start running again. Chris is right behind me clutching my hand like it's the most important thing in the world.
I drag him behind me and in a few minutes his hand slips from mine. I stop, turn around, and see he's fallen. "Oh no. You're not doing that to me!" I grab his arm and put it around my shoulders.
"Alex-?" "Chit chat later! Run now!" I say. He drops what he was bringing up and I start to feel his weight taking me over. I start to stumble but I keep running. I'm not going to stop. Out of nowhere a blueish white blur comes up next to me.
He picks up Chris not losing a beat. I look over at Frost. "What the hell?! I thought-!" "That I was an illusion? Yeah long story. But we'll talk about it later." I don't argue and continue running.
We reach some stairs and I race up them without a care in the world. What I see up there stops me. Frost appears beside me. "What the hell?!" I say. There's a bunch of monsters standing there.
Staring at us. "Please tell me they are. Uh. Dead?" I ask Frost. He shakes his head. "They are definitely alive." I look around and see a window.
"Frost when I get the window open you climb out with Chris and Zodiac. Okay? I'll be right behind you." He looks at the window. "Alright!" I grab the bottom of the window and pull. Nothing. I put all my strength into it. Nothing.
I feel the anger bubble up inside of me and I punch out the window. Frost looks at me. "I thought you were opening it?" "It's open isn't it?!" I turn and see the monsters approaching us. "Get out now!" I push him towards the window and pick something up off of the floor.
It's a stick. I smile and pull out my knife. I have one shot at this. I see some metal on the table next to me. I strike my knife against the metal and a spark produces. It lands on the old dry stick and in seconds I have a torch.
Suddenly Frost is beside me holding a side of his head. He grabs the torch and pushes me towards the window. "Frost! What are you doing?! This wasn't the plan!" He turns and smiles at me.
"Save the world." I watch as he grips the side of his head harder and I feel bad for him. "I can still do one thing right!" He says through gritted teeth. And he jumps at the other monsters torch in hand.
I hear a bottle fall to the floor and break. Flames shoot up in front of me and I jump back. "Okay time to go!" I grab Chris's arm, pick up Zodiac and climb out the window. There's a small roof slanting towards the porch awning and we slide down as the window explodes from the flames.
When we reach solid ground I look up at the top floor sadly. "Goodbye Frost." I help Chris up and walk away from the burning house.