Chapter 8

**(Edited)**

Grace's POV

True to his word Beau helps me wash my dress after I change into his clothing that's way to big for me. He even buys me extra pads, napkins and tampons before walking me to his truck and sitting me in the front seat with him. I slightly smell his shirt as I smile. It smells like Beau and it smells clean.

"The dirt road right?" he asks driving off as I nod and hold the wet dress in my hands. We wrapped it in a plastic bag after cleaning it and he didn't say anything bad about it.

Ten minutes later he pulls onto the dirt road as I see the woods blocked off by the same people who were gathering pine straw a few weeks ago. They're just the farmers from town, and they don't bother me at all. "Is there somewhere else I can drop you off?" he asks as I shake my head no and look around. "I'll just cut through, thank you" I demand trying to open the door as he locks it.

"You know what, no. I don't want to take you somewhere that I know you aren't okay, so show me where you stay." he demands as I shake my head no. That's a whole new level of trust that we don't have and time he sees a rundown barn with one room, he's not going to be my friend anymore.

"I'm fine Beau" I demand. "Why won't you let me drop you off at your home?" he asks me as I glare at him.

"I'm fine Beau" I repeat cautioning him. He moves to get closer to me as I instantly start moving away as he pulls off the shoulder of the road. "What road?" he asks.

"The dirt road you just passed" I demand to him as he sighs and turns around. But this time he pulls into the dirt road and starts driving down it past the workers as my fear sets in. The barn, it's at the end and to the left, but the dirt road is a longer walk than through the woods. He can't see it, not where I live, what my life is like. Not my grandmother who can't even stand up for long periods of time. He's going to think differently of me.

"Beau stop the truck" I demand trying to get him to stop as tears whelp in my eyes. He doesn't listen to me as he keeps driving.

"I'll drop you off" he tells me as I shake my head no. I wipe more tears from my face as I see the barn off in the distance barely through the trees.

"Beau let me walk!" I demand to him as he ignores me. I see his knuckles turn white from gripping the steering wheel, and he doesn't listen.

I flip my switch when he doesn't listen to me again.

"BEAU STOP THE DAMN TRUCK!" I yell at him as he instantly stops the truck and turns over to see tears running down my good eye.

"No, you can't see it" I demand wiping the tears from my face as I grab my bag, "Thank you for the ride, have a great football game" I tell him reaching over him to unlock the door as I get out and slam it behind me. I walk away in his clothes holding my stuff and trying my hardest to keep the shorts up as I cut through the woods. I get looks from the workers but I don't care, I keep my tears at bay.

I can't believe I trusted him and tried, really tried to be myself with him. I keep wiping my tears away until I hear the revving of his truck engine and turn to see him speeding off towards his side of town. I made a mistake, I got to close to him and he wanted to know me, all about me and I couldn't handle it.

~~~~

Saturday morning I wake up with swollen eyes from crying. I greet my grandmother from her sleep as I hand her a bottle of water and start preparing water for her bath. I fill the basin without saying much as I close the barn doors and help her slip off her clothing. I help her up and sit into it as I pull out the bar of soap I stole from the supply closet at school and start washing her body. I clean her face, arms, hands, back, feet and entire body before helping her rinse and dry off before I go outside and take the clothes off the line and bring them back in and help her change.