Chapter 1

-WARNING-

this book contains depictions of child abuse, PTSD, sexual abuse and anxiety, if any of these things could trigger you please don't read, your mental health is more important xx

-Sapphire's POV-

I got in from dance aching more than usual, the national competition was coming up and I needed to be perfect, so I worked myself harder and harder. I knew that I shouldn't, especially because I don't eat enough to get through the day normally.

I pried up the loose floorboard in the living room and put my dance shoes inside, smiling down at the books tucked away nicely. I ran my finger over the spines, all four were in there. A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Court of Mist and Fury, A Court of Wings and Ruin and A Court of Frost and Starlight.

'I will read them again later.'

I promised myself. I didn't have the energy to change so I stayed in my leotard, tights and skirt. I turned the blaring TV off before I went deaf then looked around for my dad, I hoped he was upstairs already passed out from drinking too much, it would save me having to deal with him.

I allowed myself a minute of sitting down, rubbing at my aches from doing the same routine over and over. My feet were the worst, I had a couple of new blisters, but it wasn't too bad, I have had worse.

I trudged up the stairs and carefully opened dad's door, my heart dropped when I saw he wasn't there, great, now I not only need to find him, but I need to deal with him.

There was a loud thunk from downstairs and I groaned, it was going to be one of those days.

I trudged back down the stairs and saw my father stagger into the lounge, an empty bottle in his hand.

"WE ARE OUT OF BEER!" He yelled at me, loud enough that our neighbours could probably hear him.

"You've had enough for one day, come on, let's get you to bed." I said gently.

He clenched his fists, and I knew I was so done for, I didn't have the energy to fight back this time so as he beat me up, knocking me around the room, I couldn't do anything.

I was already bruised all over and bleeding in multiple spots when he began to use his beer bottle as a weapon. He smashed it over my back, and I felt the shards embed into my skin.

I couldn't stop my whimper as I fell to my knees. He then hit me over the head with the jagged edges, I could feel myself falling but I didn't ever hit the floor.

I was thrown into sunlight and I blinked at the blue sky flecked with clouds. I was still falling, and I half wondered if the fall would kill me, not my injuries.

I slammed into something and I let out a yelp as the glass was pushed further under my skin. Black spots crossed my vision as a vaguely familiar woman looked down at me, I willed my mind to hold on, I couldn't let myself slip away.

-Feyre's POV-

I was mid conversation with Rhys over breakfast when we felt a shift of power. We both stood and ran out into the garden, looking around for the source of the shift.

A bright flash of purple light shone high above the city and a small black shape began to fall. I didn't hesitate as I jumped into the air, flying to catch them.

As I got closer, I realised it was a child that was falling. I caught her and she let out a cry of pain. It was obvious why, she was covered in cuts and bruises. Her body was limp in my arms, but her eyes were open and clouded with pain.

'We need a healer,' I yelled into Rhys's mind as I flew for the manor.

She was so light, too light. She was pretty though, her hair was tightly pinned to her head and her style was strange but elegant. She smelt strongly of stale alcohol as well as sweat.

I landed and saw Rhys appear with Madja. I half ran up to a room and I lay her on the bed, refusing to leave the room as Madja worked.

The girl was somehow still conscious despite her blood still flowing.

"I'm going to send you to sleep while I work." Madja told the girl softly.

Her eyes widened.

"No, please no," she cried, her voice a croak.

"This is going to hurt if I don't." Madja was looking shocked but her voice remained steady and gentle.

"Can't be any worse than the last time," the kid mumbled.

I walked to the other side of the bed. Climbing onto the sheets and sitting next to the girl. I gently clasped my hand around hers as Madja carefully pulled her top off her back.

She looked like she had scales there were so many shards of glass under her skin. I wished she would fall asleep so she would stop feeling the pain, but she didn't, her eyes stayed open, and she stared at the wall behind me.

I wish I knew how to take away pain like Rhys could, but I didn't, and I didn't want to call Rhys in, the kid was terrified enough as it is, a High Lord would not make things better.

Madja began to pull the glass out of her back and although tears fell from her eyes she didn't move or make a sound. I held her hand tightly, hoping to distract her a little from the pain.

"Almost done," I whispered to her as Madja pulled out the last few shards of glass.

Once she had, Madja carefully covered her back in a salve, the kid hissed through her teeth and her grip on my hand tightened a little, but she still didn't move.

As soon as the salve had dried, we both carefully rolled the girl onto her back and took in her torso and face.

She had a split lip, a bruised cheek and eye as well as multiple bruises on her ribs and stomach, she had a large gash on her forehead and another one on her right side.

She didn't look at either of us, choosing to stare blankly at the celling. I took her hand again and squeezed her fingers slightly.

Neither of the cuts were overly deep although the one on her side was quite long. Madja put a little more salve on each and the kid winced a little before Madja nodded at me and I followed her out.

"She needs to rest, I don't want to use much magic on her because she is human, and I don't know how it would affect her. Put a little salve on her wounds twice a day and she should be fine." She told me and I thanked her before walking back into the girl's room.

To my relief her eyes were closed, and her breathing had evened out, she was asleep.

"Feyre?" Rhys called out.

"I'm in here," I called back as I pulled the girl's top back up to cover her.

"She's human?" He questioned as he looked down at her.

"You know just as much as I do." I told him and he pulled me against his side.

"She's only a kid," he said softly.

"Whoever hurt her will very soon be dead," I vowed.

"I know Feyre, it's ok," Rhys whispered before kissing me on the head.

I opened my mouth to say something else, but I saw the girl shift a little, she was waking up, I wanted her to sleep for longer, but I couldn't do anything as her eyes flicked open.