Chapter 3

I gazed at a picture centered above the Denning fireplace of my once family gathered in front of Billy's barn. A giant wreath hung above the rolling barn door; it must have been from last Christmas. Billy had his arms around Viv and Mary. Everyone looked happy; Billy looked happy. Suddenly my choice of loneliness crumbled, and I hoped one day I'd have a picture where I looked happy.

Calling someone had an intention, but I still hoped Mary wouldn't answer.

"Hello, Lily," Mary spoke in the same chipper tone as though we had talked the day before.

"How did you know it was me?"

"I don't know many people with Maine numbers," there was a jest to her tone. "How are you?"

"Well, and you?"

"Better now that I have you on the line. It's been ages."

"I'm sorry, I just...."

"No, no excuses. I know all the reasons why not. I'm just happy now." There was still a joyful tone.

"So, I'm in Duluth. I'm at Tess's and Tim's place."

"What?" Excitement bubbled from the phone, striking me so hard that I almost dropped my phone.

"I'll start shortbread right now. How long are you in town? When can you come for dinner? Sunday, Sunday would be best for me. Yes, Sunday lunch works perfectly."

"Mary," I tried to stop her stream of babble.

"Oh, I can make my meatballs. What else did you like? My stuffed bread; I'll make that too. I bet you're too thin. I can hear it in your voice," she continued.

"How can you hear it in my voice? You haven't even heard it!" I finally cut in.

"I guess I got a little ahead of myself," she impishly giggled. "But Sunday, you'll come Sunday, right?"

"I don't know. I wasn't planning on staying that long."

"Nonsense. You can work from here. You have before. Are you staying with Tim?"

"No, I have a hotel downtown."

"Hotel? With all these big houses Billy keeps handing out? Stay with me. Come tonight; I'll make up a room and a lasagna!"

"Mary, it's fine, really."

"Oh shush, you know I love having guests in the house; it keeps me from talking to myself."

I let out a sigh. I always had the most challenging time saying no to Mary. "Okay, but tomorrow. I'm having dinner with Tess and Tim tonight, so it'll be late. I'll come tomorrow."

"Fantastic. I should go so I can start cooking! I bet you haven't eaten a proper meal in ten years!"

"Mary," I cut in, and she finally stopped her jabbering. I said the only thing due at the moment, "thank you."

I was relieved that the ten years had been kind to Mary. She seemed to have the same pep as though I had just seen her yesterday. I looked over the pictures again, this time focusing on her. She looked as though time had stopped for her. My stomach rumbled from deep down, agreeing with Mary that I had not had a proper meal in ten years.

The pictures in the living room entranced me. Once I surveyed the mantle photos again, I picked up one from an end table that looked like they took it at a baseball game. The vivid colors of summer made my eyes squint. Everyone wore matching uniforms with the studio logo on them.

"Company ball game," Tim's voice was close to me. "We play against the staff of the local music venues every summer for charity."

"You boys always liked baseball." I didn't take my eyes off the picture.