Chapter 23

"Ma," cut through my conversation with Mary as the door slammed behind Billy, causing a rattle through the house.

"We're in here," Mary called out to him from her usual spot in the kitchen.

"Why does he enter like that?" I shot at her.

"He always has." Mary shrugged. "I just like that he still calls me Ma," she added with a wink.

"Hey." Billy was beside me, giving me a tender kiss on my temple. "Hey, Mom," he added as he pulled her in for a hug.

"Hey, Billy," she had a serene smile as he hugged her, which warmed me. "I could get used to you stopping by more often," she added as he pulled away.

I shot Billy a look, but with a single glance, we both agreed that it wasn't the moment to tell Mary of our plans for me to get my own place.

"Are you hungry, dear?" Mary asked as she turned to the stovetop.

I stifled a laugh at what was coming next.

"I could eat." He slid onto a stool next to me. "Did you already eat?" He asked innocently enough.

"Sure did," I smiled, but he could tell there was more to the evening's meal.

"I made Italian Wedding Soup," Mary attempted with an absent tone.

"Mom, really?" Billy groaned.

"What? I just had a craving for it." Mary shrugged with a mischievous smile.

"Did she get a lecture like Tim and I did this morning?" Billy shot at me.

"Nope, that's one Mama Bear I won't poke."

Billy sighed in resignation. "Well, at least I get soup out of the deal."

"What are you two up to tonight?" Mary asked. "Did you rent out a zoo?"

"You know, I expect this from Tim, but you, Lil?" Billy complained to me.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't help but tell her." I leaned into his shoulder, hoping the touch would foster faster forgiveness.

"It was very thoughtful," Mary added with an agreeing nod.

"We're going to have a good old fashion night in," I offered.

"Oh, that sounds fun." Mary had her false chipper tone in her voice, causing Billy to stiffen a bit.

"I'm excited," I squeezed his arm to reassure him and dissuade Tim's opinion that was inevitably rattling in his head. We could spend a quiet night together and even talk about our complicated relationship without a collapse.

"I take it I won't see you two until breakfast?" Mary asked as she wiped down the counter. "I can make French toast."

"No," Billy murmured. "I'm reducing my carbs."

"What?" Mary and I said in unison.

"I'm not kidding. I'm kicking the pasta pouch."

"No," I challenged.

"What's your pasta pouch?" Mary had a bewildered look on her face.

"His adorable tummy." I resisted the urge to tap it.

"If roles were reversed, and I told you I loved your adorable tummy, you'd murder me in my sleep," Billy grumbled before downing the last of his soup.

"I wouldn't. Besides, you keep telling me I'm too thin. That's not any better."

"You're too skinny. Mom, isn't she too skinny?"

"I luckily get to agree with both of you on this. I'll also ensure extra fruit salad for you both tomorrow morning."