Chapter 14

I sipped the last of the champagne as I watched the roaring fire and let The Beatles wind down with Good Night. Once the song was done, I switched off the turntable and re-sleeved the album. I grabbed out glasses and another bottle of champagne before going upstairs to Billy's room.

"I was beginning to think you fled the state again," Billy said from the bed.

"Are you naked?" I asked as I assessed his state.

"I wanted to make sure you had full access." He gave a devilish grin that fully displayed his dimples. "Of my back, of course," he finished. "Why? Are you having some impulse control issues?"

"No," I shot back quickly. "I'm surprised at your confidence, but not impulse problems here."

"Mmhmm." His mumble came more like a sing-song tease. "Could you pour me another glass? I don't think you want me to get up," he teased again.

"Of course, dear," I groaned as I refilled our glasses and downed mine in one sip before pouring another. The action elicited laughter from Billy. I just handed him his glass, hoping it would shut him up.

"Do you have any moisturizer?" I asked as I assessed the situation unfolding before me.

"Yeah, it's on the sink counter," Billy spoke absently as he attempted to sip without rolling over onto his back.

"Okay," I announced with the moisturizer in hand. "Ready?"

"Sure am," Billy eagerly announced.

"Great," I said, as I slapped his ass through the sheet and climbed onto the bed to straddle him.

"Hey now," Billy said in surprise.

"Problem?" I asked. "You aren't having any impulse control issues, are you?"

"No, of course not, but this feels dangerously close to cheating," he challenged.

"Really? You're naked in bed and accusing me of cheating?"

"Fair," he agreed with a laugh.

I squirted moisturizer in my hands and rubbed them together to warm the cream. "So, what have you been doing to care for yourself aside from popping pills from a suspiciously willy-nilly doctor?"

"Not as much as I should," he admitted, knowing lying to me would be futile. "I've been rowing to build up the muscles traditionally and not in how me spasming on stage does."

"Well, that's a start. I love rowing. I do twenty minutes most days."

"Really?" Billy curiously said as I began to rub his shoulders and neck.

"Mmhmm, twenty minutes on the rower, twenty-minute incline walk, and twenty minutes on the floor focusing on my abs," I explained.

"It works for you, Lil. You haven't aged since I met you. Although..." his words tapered off.

"Although what?" I pressed.

"Have you been eating enough? I know how you get when you're stressed." His voice was cautious.

"I hadn't been, but Mary has been fixing that. I'm back up two pounds already," I noted.

"Good, take care of yourself," he noted.

"Mmhmm, sounds like wise advice. Where did you hear that before?" I teased.

"Oh, this chick I used to bang," he teased.

"Billy Collins, when did you get so vulgar?" I slapped his back as I spoke.

"It's all the champagne you've been plying me with!"