Chapter 4

I slept like a rock that night. Even with the rough hotel sheets and extra loud AC that wouldn't turn off despite being December, I slept better than I had since my dad passed. I woke up feeling like a new person, or maybe like my old self. I checked in with my office and promised that I'd be back online the next day. Then I packed up, checked out, and headed to Mary's house as I promised I would. I used my phone to give me directions, but they kept getting interrupted by messages. Tim was back to obsessing over the records. When I finally pulled up to Mary's house, I was in full-on annoyed mode at Tim's incessant texting.

"Dude, maybe you should just ask him," I quickly texted before pulling myself out of the car.

Before I even shut the door, Tim shot back, "maybe YOU should ask him."

"Brilliant plan, Einstein, except he's not TALKING to ME."

"And whose fault is that?" I got back almost immediately. Then, "it's too soon for that, huh?" Followed by a final, "sorry, Lil."

"It's fine. It's not untrue. I'm at Mary's; gotta go."

"Say hi for me. Let me know if she made shortbread."

"Why would I tell you that? Then I'd have to share." I smiled, knowing that Tim would laugh at my message.

"I missed you, Lil. No one gets my humor like you do."

"Love you, Timmy."

"You're worse than the kids with that phone," Mary called from the door.

"Sorry, it was the biggest kid, and he wants shortbread." I hugged Mary as soon as I was within reach of her.

"Tim could skip a few of the cookies," she laughed as she pulled away. "You, on the other hand." She shook her head in disappointment. "Get in here and off with that coat so I can confirm my suspicions."

I knew what was coming as soon as I shrugged off my coat.

"Lily Turncott, have you eaten at all in the last ten years?" There was the unmissable tone of a loving mother's scold.

"It's been a rough month," I murmured.

"I know, sweetie," her voice was more tender now. "Come on; I'll make you some pancakes."

I got the impression that Mary knew my dad had passed, but I was afraid to confirm it. If she knew, then it was once again real. It had followed me to Duluth, and I wasn't ready for it to be real again. I was still shoving it deep down and avoiding it.

"So, tell me about work. I've been following along. You've been doing so well. I update the girls at book club with every promotion."

"I'm very lucky," I smiled as I slid onto a stool at the island.

"Nonsense, they're lucky. You worked hard. Never say it was luck."

"Sorry, Mary."

"Oh, there it is. The only one that can sound as pathetic as my Billy is you." She said Billy's name with no hint of a flinch.

"Tell me about him."

She smiled but stopped the onslaught with a "are you sure?"

"Yes, you're the only one that will really tell me about him."

Mary let out a sigh and slid a cup of tea to me. "He has worked very hard on the kids and music. And he has been very successful with both. I'm sure you don't want to hear about his work."

I gave her a nod in agreement. I still had not heard his music. It was all she needed to move on.

"He has raised such great kids. Jackson can melt your heart with just a look. He's so sweet."