Chapter 17

I slipped up the stairs without the playing cards, but smiling to myself at the moment I'd just stolen. I knew I should feel guilty, but I'd never felt closer to Billy and my dad. It seemed the cards I weren't needed as the game had already resumed as I settled back into my seat.

"You know," Mary leaned in as she spoke, "I realized I moved the spare cards up here this morning." She gave me a wink to confirm she had set me up.

I shook my head at her craftiness as my phone dinged.

"Office?" Billy was texting me.

A smile spread across my face as I texted, "be right there."

"Excuse me," I murmured as I rose from my chair.

Mary had a satisfied smile, but Tess gave me a cautious look, which I ignored.

"Hey," I said as I shut the office door behind me.

"Hey," he tightly said through a held breath.

Excitement coursed through him and spread to me. I wanted to pace to him and wrap my arms around his neck. I wanted to feel his lips kiss me gently on top of my head. But I resisted. There was still a gap between us. The trying replaced the anger, but we were so far from repair that for a moment, the few feet between us felt like miles, and tears threatened my eyes.

"Hi," I said out of old habit.

A laugh erupted from his chest, diffusing his held breath. "There's my Lil."

"I have to tell you something, and it might make you mad," I admitted.

"Already? What in hell have you done already?" The jesting was draining from his voice with every word reminding me of the thin line we were still walking between mending and total destruction.

"I was looking for a deck of cards, and Mary thought they were in the basement," I began.

"Mom," Billy groaned as his hands rose to his head. "How much did you hear?"

"I heard about Chris." I raised my eyebrows at him.

He sighed as he flopped down on the couch. "You're fighting for us?"

"Until death."

"We're not friends," he cautioned.

"We never were," I agreed.

He sucked in a heavy breath and let the words fall from his lips. "What do we think of Chris?"

"I suspect we think Viv likes him, and you trust her judgment," I offered as I slumped down next to him.

"She does, and I do," he admitted.

"You're something with her," I said as I bumped my shoulder into him. I needed contact, and the friendly gesture felt safe.

"Don't tell Tim, but she's my best friend," he smiled.

I had to stifle an audible 'aw.' "She's a lucky kid." I felt a pang from the hole my father left. "Tell me about Jackson."

"Unfortunately, he's a lot like his dad; he's shy, quiet, uncertain of everything."

"He'll find his way. His dad is a pretty good person to be like."

"Do you think he has his eye on anyone?"

"I'm sure, and I'm certain many have their eyes on him."

"Really? He's so shy." Billy let a hand fall casually to my lap, causing a soar of delight through me.

"I speak from experience when I say it's a shy and quiet Collins boy is hard to resist," I teased as I let his hand mingle with mine. It was bold, but I needed it. I needed to be knotted with him.