Epilogue

In the Second's office right next door to the Kings, Maya and Perci shifted pins and paper sticky tabs around on the massive world map that was spread before them on the wall. Bits of string and hastily scribbled notes covered the map, making the entire thing look like a chaotic mess, but according to Maya, there was a method to the madness.

Lucan and Abaddon sat behind their soulmates drinking demonbrew and trying to help where they could, but neither could stop the women when they were on a mission. Perci had taken it upon herself to team up with Maya and plan out the best way to go about adding portals to Gehenna and other major demonic fortresses all over the globe. His Commanders loved the idea of coming home to Undercity permanently and commuting via the portals to their stations. In truth, Lucan was very keen on this idea too, but he was trying to stem the excitement due to Abaddon's constant worry over Maya's fatigue.

Perci too was aware there was something not quite right about the tiredness the portal maker was showing, but Maya kept insisting it was just like working a muscle group after a long bout of laziness.

"Okay, how about we put portals to Undercity in every fortress that houses more than a thousand demons and portals to Gehenna in the larger more strategic outposts?" Perci suggested.

"I think that's doable." Maya cocked her head and stepped back to view the map in its entirety. "What do you two think?"

"I don't want you overtaxing your abilities." Abaddon was quick to say.

"Oh don't start-Ah!" Maya dropped to the ground with a loud cry and clutched her chest.

Abaddon shot out of his chair and caught his mate just before she fell. He cradled her in his arms and frantically tore at her clothing on her chest, but there wasn't a single thing marking her skin.

"What's happening?!" He growled.

Maya was barely breathing from the pain in her body, but finally after long minutes it ebbed and finally disappeared. Only once she was sure it wouldn't return did she open her eyes and face her mate. Abaddon looked seconds away from committing murder and Perci and Lucan were crouching closeby with worried expressions.

"What the fuck was that?" Her mate asked, seeing her resigned look.

"There's something I haven't told you." She sighed.

"Tell me what that was!" He shouted, eyes aflame.

"When I kept trying to escape Michael, he lost his patience with me and imbued a special crystal made from his power with my blood. He said it was insurance in case I ever got away from him." Maya couldn't help the tears that ran down her face. "I didn't believe him at the time, but obviously..."

"So he can cause you pain through this crystal?" Lucan asked.

"Yes."

"Why now? You've been free for over a week." Perci said, completely baffled.

"This isn't the first time this has happened." Abaddon bit out. "Is it?"

"No." Maya sighed and looked away from her livid mate.

"Why the fuck wouldn't you tell me about this?" He implored her. "Lucan, can this kill her?"

"It's not an ability I've ever heard of, so I can't be sure." Lucan frowned. "It's likely that it takes a certain amount of power for Michael to force pain through the crystal to you, so you can rest easy that the pain will continue to be intermittent as he regains his strength, but prolonged exposure to it could very well end your life, Maya." He said gently.

"Then make me a Changeling." She blurted.

"What? I thought we already had this discussion. You said you weren't ready to."

"I know what I said, but I don't want to die. Not when I've just found you again."

Perci and Lucan hung back and let the couple talk, neither wanted to get in the way of such an important decision. Eventually though, Abaddon sighed and relented.

"Okay, fine. Let's do this now before I change my mind." He grumbled.

Perci rushed over to the table next to the door where the specially imbued demon sword sat. Then handing it to Abaddon she rejoined Lucan's side and they watched intensely as he carefully sliced a deep cut in Maya's hand.

For a moment, nothing happened and Abaddon was tempted to cut his mate again to make sure he'd done it right, but then with a scream, Maya's body contorted with pain and a blinding light filled the room.