Escape

"Gabriel? Can you wake up please? Gabriel?"

Gabriel stirred a little, then squeezed his eyes and opened them.

"Where...am I?" He asked. He speaks in soft whispers. He groans and closes his eyes again to shut out the light.

"Gabriel. You're okay, Gabriel."

I've been awake for a couple of hours when she came in. Lela came in and stood in the doorway when she saw me. I told her I wouldn't hurt her, so she continued to walk in and sit next to her beloved Gabriel. I've just been lying in my bed, thinking how this could have gone wrong. I close my eyes.

I see a bright light. Then a voice spoke. It sounds really familiar, but I can't place it. But what He says makes me remember who is speaking.

"In the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit."

"Amen." I here myself whisper.

I open my eyes, breathing hard. I sit up, only to wince at the pain in my stomach. Michael said that he knows who I am. That's what made me lose the fight. I have to leave here. All of the demons that were in Heaven before either were killed or fled back to Hell. I must be the only live demon left, which means the Veil is strong yet again. If I don't get back to Hell soon, I will be a part of the Veil, like I thought I would be when I was struck down.

"You look like you didn't sleep well."

I look up to see Michael come into the room. He looks over at Lela and Gabriel and sits down bside them.

"Little angel Lela. You are rather new to Heaven, and yet you were thrown into this. Gabriel will be just fine. He is strong, and will not let go easily. You have nothing to worry about. I think it is about time that you get some rest."

"He's right...Lela. You...need your rest. Don't-"

"Shh. Don't speak. It's okay. You're alive, and that's all I need to know. I will come back later, okay?"

"Don't come back too soon, or I'll kill you."

Everyone turned to stare at me, so I just lowered my head. Lela left, leaving Gabriel to rest more. That leaves Michael and me alone in the room.

"Are you ready to know who you are?"

"Why would you tell me? I'm a demon, I'm not supposed to know who I am."

"Once you know this, you will understand."

"Maybe I don't want to know. Leave. Now."

Michael left, shaking his head. I need to get out of Heaven. I do not want to become part of the Veil. I can't move much right now, so I'll have to wait. Soon, though, I will leave this wretched place.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I can't stop worrying about Gabriel. I have to make sure he's okay. What if he dies in his sleep? No, I can't think like that. I have to keep focused. I walk to a building that Gabriel said is his a while ago. He said I can stay there, if I'd like. I said of course, partly because I love him and partly because I have nowhere else to go. It never gets dark here, but my body can still tell whether it's night or day.

I unlock the door to the house. It's huge. It's not as big as God's house, though. I lie down on the black couch and find the tv remote. I turn it on. I wonder what tv in Heaven is like. It's pretty much like the world of the living, except it has a lot more options. There are thousands of channels, and so many shows in so many different languages. I flip to a show that I liked when I was alive. Ninjago. Yeah, so it's a show with Legos. It's pretty good, though. I watch the show for a while, and I think I eventually fall asleep.