Memories

I lay my head down on the pillow, closing my eyes. "Do it." I simply say. Then I am plunged into a world unkown to me.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"Mora, want to play?"

"Sure." I said.

I got up and chased my little brother around. I was seven years old and he was five.

"You can't catch me!" He yelled.

"Don't count on it." I laughed as I tackled Johnny to the ground. "Got you!" I said.

We both laughed and just stared up at the sky.

"You know how mommy always says there are angels in the sky?" He asked. I nodded. "Where do you think they are right now?"

"I think they're all around us. That they're always there for us. I think there are angels who watch over us, others that fight for Heaven, and others that turned to saints when they died."

"What do you think happens to the ones who don't make it to Heaven?"

"They go to Hell. They have no right to be in Heaven. They don't deserve it. Whatever they did during their life was meaningless. But, mommy always says that some demons in Hell are brought to Heaven by God. What do you think, Johnny?"

"I think I want to go to Heaven. I don't want to go to Hell. I will always follow you, God!" He yelled at the sky. I laughed at this and smiled.

Then we heard mom. She was calling us in for dinner.

"Coming!" We both said at once.

We ate dinner and then went to bed. The next morning, we went to the barn. We lived on an old farm that was no longer in use. Johnny and I liked to play there all the time. Daddy went there to smoke, so we usually had to wait a while after telling him that we wanted to play.

"Hey Mora, you wanna build a strawman?" Johnny said in a pinched voice. I laughed.

"Sure." A strawman is like a snowman, but it never really snowed where we lived, so we built strawmen instead of snowmen.

First, we gathered haybales for the body, head, and torso. Next, we got loose pieces of straw for the arms. For the eyes, nose, mouth, and buttons we used daddy's lighter to make dark spots on the hay. Then we use a hat for the top of its head.

"There, all finished!" I said and stepped back from out artwork.

"Mora, Johnny, how many times have I told you not to use daddy's lighter as a toy?"

Mommy tried to grab the lighter from my hand, but I quickly lit it and threww it in the hay. Mommy gasped and tried to get us out of the barn. I ran to the opposite side, dragging Johnny behind me. We reached the end of the barn, which was now in flames, and I turned around. Mommy was nowhere to be seen. I looked around for her and saw her on the ground, not moving. I shrieked and shielded my brother from the flames.

When the fire was out, I went to mommy. She was burnt and hot. I couldn't touch her.

"Mora," Johnny sniffed behind me, "what did you do?"

"I got rid of her. She was going to take our toy away." I picked mommy up and walked over to Johnny.

"Here is our mommy, little brother."

"I hate you!" He scraemed and then ran off.

I followed him. I killed him.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-