Chapter 7

Kaneki had sent away his group before the fighting had begun thinking if he had to die he would atleast save them but as much as ken cared for his group, his group cared about him too. On the way out Rio says,"Hey guys, was it right to leave kaneki-san alone with the old man, I mean they are against the reaper". Tsukiyama was already going insane thinking ken would die and he wouldn't be able to taste him again, banjou looked down, "I agree with you, kaneki saved me from aogiri tree as well. He has always been so selfless but look at us we left him there, I think we should go back". They all uninamously agreed that they should check on him once and if he is alive, rescue him othervise they will have to carry the news to Anteiku.

Rio, Tsukiyama and Banjou go inside the destroyed base while Ichimi, Jiro and Sante stay behind on look-out. When they go inside they are met with a grim scene, the bodies of both investigators and ghouls are lying all over the floor lifeless, it looked like a war ground which it probably was. After seeing such a grim sight the hopes of ken being alive started to diminish but they decided to continue searching thinking that if ken was really dead then they'll just try to take his body discretely so that they don't receive attention from a dove and atleast give ken a proper funeral, they continue to search room after room then they reach the basement and all their thoughts stop as they see Ken lying in a pool of blood beside a half eaten corpses of a ghoul and a white-haired investigator.

They run to see if he is alive and miraculously he is, they assume the bodies are of Shachi and the Reaper judging from their hair and height. They feed Ken a little more so that he can replenish faster and they get out of the base as fast as they can setting fire to the whole building so that the CCG can't find out the 'eyepatch ghoul' or 'mukade', his new alias after gaining a kakuja is still alive. They meet up with the trio and they are crying with happiness seeing ken still alive, truth be told they all are. All of them look at the building burning in the distance surrounded by the now arrived CCG officers accompanied by the fire department who are extinguishing the flames which have engulfed the whole building, the group heads towards the 20th ward.

Anteiku is closed today as the members sit in the manager's office and watch the news, the anchor starts,"Today around 4 in the morning the CCG ambushed a base of operations of the infamous ghoul organization, it was found out later that the building caught fire because of unspecified reasons. Numerous bodies of both ghouls and humans were found inside but were burnt to the point that identifying them is impossible-". Everyone knows that ken went there with his group because ayato told them, Hinami starts crying and Ayato tries to comfort her, "Onii-chan, why... why did you g-go away?","Hinami, it's okay your Onii-chan is very strong I know that, he must have gotten out of there, so please stop crying".

Hinami hugs Ayato and falls asleep crying into his chest. Ayato looks at touka with sadness in his eyes, touka looks at him and snaps, "WHAT?"
"I'm sorry for Kaneki-san",ayato looks down towards the ground "I should have stayed with him". Touka was getting angry now at what ayato said, "What the hell ?!?, You said that he must have made it, that he's strong just now. He's alive damnit!". Ayato felt bad for his sister, he said those things to calm Hinami down truth be told no one can make it alive out of that but he didn't say anything as he didn't want to hurt his sister more. He thinks it's his fault he left kaneki and came here living comfortably while he risked his life out there, he thinks 'damnit, I always mess up'. But their thoughts are cut short when the anteiku crew storms into the room accompanied by Tsukiyama, Rio and finally banjou, who is carrying kaneki on his back...