Chapter 9 - Famous Party (Emily POV)

"Late to your own party"-Rossi  I sighed reading the text. I knew I was late, and I knew he was anxiously waiting for my 'grand arrival'. I pulled into the driveway of his mansion and cut the car off. Trying to settle my anxieties I took deep breath before walking up to the door. Knocking on it softly I heard some shuffling before the door swung open "Emily!" Spencer yelled embracing me in a hug. "Boy wonder! I missed you!" I let out happily returning his hugs. The following few minutes was filled with of hugs and warm welcomes from the rest of the team. Rossi laid his hand on my shoulder leading me out to his backyard "When you throw a party you go all out." I commented staring in amazement at the lights, drinks and tables scattered across the yard. "Only for my favorite girl!" He smiled "It's so good to see you, Emily." Rossi was interrupted by Garcia butting in between us handing both of us drinks "Come on, you can't hog the guest of honor all night!" She said pulling me away and into a conversation with Morgen and Spencer. "Where's Kate?" I asked noticing the absence of the newest agent "She had prior commitments, and morning sickness." Spencer stated, I cringed a little feeling pity for her "Ah what a shame I heard she was good at karaoke."

The rest of the night took off without a hitch. Jack and Henry ran around wildly between all of us. Hotch, Rossi and I talked more about my work over in London while Garcia kept feeding me drinks, flirting with Morgen as she does. Spencer told me all about what happened while I was away, adding in stories of Kate's work before joining the BAU. Through all of this I kept stealing glances over at JJ, when she was interacting with the others, she seemed her usual self, but I noticed her constantly pulling away from the group. She stood at a small table away from the rest of us with Will across from her, they weren't speaking but I could tell tensions were high from their body language. "So, how long do we have you?" Hotch asked. I turned to face him "Sadly not as long as I had planned. This is my last night, I got a call earlier and they need me back in London." I heard collective sorrows from the group asJJ made her way back over to us. "That's a shame, but at least we can party why we have you!" Garcia said happily "Come on guys, these aren't going to drink themselves!" Added Morgen.

Being around the team felt like being reunited with my family. The following hours were filled with laughs, a few tears reminiscing over old memories, as well as some from awful drunk karaoke. As the party began to wind down Hotch gave me a hug "It was nice seeing you, but I've got to get this one home. He turns into a monster if he doesn't get his sleep" I thanked him for coming, said bye to Jack and promised to bring him back some goodies the next time 'Aunt Emily visits'. Slowly everyone began to file out. Spencer insisted on driving Garcia and Morgen home, which made Rossi happy as those two have been tripping over themselves for a while. They drunkenly hugged me, Garcia crying on my shoulder making me promise to come back soon before Spencer was finally able to drag her into the car. Morgen flashed me one last wide smile "I'll see you later princess" he waved before following behind Garcia "Alright baby girl let's get you home," I heard him giggle.

Finally, it was just JJ and I standing together. She held her arms crossed closely to her body as she glanced between Rossi and Will. Henry was in Will's arms long passed out "JJ, it's okay you can go." I smiled putting a hand on her shoulder "I know Em... I just hate not knowing when I'll get to see you again." I watched as she physically shielded herself, arms pulled close to her body as Will walked over "I think we need to get going, Henry's exhausted." He said gruffly. JJ nodded, pulled me in for a hug before beginning to follow Will to the car "Hey! Why don't you take Henry home Will? JJ, you're more than welcome to come back and have one last girls' night with me?" I asked sheepishly. I watched as JJ and Will silently had a conversation before he finally shrugged giving a small nod. I hated that she had to ask his permission. I tried to hide my dislike for Will, clasping my hands together "Alright! Give me a second to thank Rossi. Will, it was good seeing you." I lied before excusing myself to say one last goodbye to Rossi "Some party hu? You sure you don't need help cleaning up?" Rossi let out a low chuckle "You really think I clean these up?" I looked at him a bit speechless "Prentiss there's a lot of privileges you gain becoming a best-selling author." He laughed pulling me in for a hug "It was good seeing you again. Don't be a stranger."

I eventually walked over to my car seeing JJ leaning against it. "You sure you're good to drive?" She asked. "Practically sober after all that." I laughed unlocking the doors. JJ threw her bag in the back before settling into the passenger seat. We spent most of the ride filling the silence with meaningless small talk. Even being a profiler, I couldn't tell if JJ was just saddened by my inevitable absence or if something bigger was going on. As we pulled in the parking garage I looked over "JJ this isn't forever, I promise I'll be back." JJ nodded letting off a small sniffle "I know Em, it just sucks." I reached over and grabbed her hand "Listen, not even oceans can keep us apart. If you need me- I'm back. Just say the word and I'll be here before you know it blackbird." She looked up at me, those deep blue eyes piercing into my soul. 'Fuck she's beautiful' I couldn't stop myself from reaching free hand over, caressing her cheek lightly "Em?"