EARLY MORNING TALKS

"Your arm is cold."

Bucky, who had been awake since the early morning, barely heard Anna's murmurs. Her face was yet again smushed in the pillow; he learned it was her favorite sleeping position.

Once he heard her, he retracted his metal arm, which was resting underneath the covers on her bare waist. Her skin shivered as his arm slid out.

"Sorry," he whispered.

She winced as she opened her eyes. The bright light shining through the curtains illuminated the room a little too much for her preference.

She squinted at him at first. But when she saw his dopey smile, her lips lazily lifted to copy his expression.

"What?"

He shrugged and brought his hand up to her face. His hand rested against her cheek while his thumb traced up and down. He even ran over her bottom lip lightly.

She smiled and scooted closer. She adjusted the blanket to keep herself covered. Her focus ran from his face to his arm. She noticed how his expression didn't have his typical frown lines. He looked content.

She looked down and saw his arm completely exposed. She hadn't really noticed it last night but she could see the scars clearly now. She frowned slightly and placed her hand on his shoulder.

He watched her anxiously as she ran her fingers over the scars where his real shoulder stopped and connected with his metal arm. The scars were still red and raised as if they'd been freshly made.

"Does it hurt?" she whispered.

They locked eyes again. Bucky seemed to fall into sadness and nostalgia, as if he was living the past again.

"Sometimes."

Her finger traced over his scars continuously. It made Bucky feel somewhat content and at peace with his difference. The metal arm only added to the list of things made him feel like an alien compared to everyone else. But when Anna accepted it, he felt accepted too.

He sighed and grasped her arm. He pressed a light kiss to the inside of her wrist before pulling it close to his chest. He let it rest there before running his hand through her hair and brushing it out of her face.

A new understanding had passed through them. They were more open and vulnerable; willing to accept that they had feelings they couldn't repress any longer.

"Tell me something you've never told me before."

His eyebrows quirked at the curious question. But nevertheless, he answered it.

He bit his lip in thought before grinning wildly, "I once rode in a commander's truck naked because one of the guys in my unit dared me to."

She instantly laughed, lighting up the room with her joy. He laughed with her both out of embarrassment and happiness.

"While that was amusing," she began, "I meant something serious."

Their smiles faded again in thoughtfulness. Bucky instantly knew what he wanted to say but he was reluctant. Anna could see it, so she stroked the side of his face tenderly. It encouraged him to speak his thoughts.

"I miss Steve."

He looked away the second her face turned pitiful. She noticed the reaction and cleared her immediate expression.

He chuckled as if he remembered something important to him, "He said we'd be together until the end of the line. But..."

He trailed off, unable to complete his sentence since it was too painful. It brought up too many memories.