Epilogue: Glow

After seventeen years I wake up in a cabin in the woods. Helios' speckled light dances on my skin as I open my eyes. Adonis is lying next to me, looking at me with a happy, satisfied smile.

'I love waking up next to you,' he whispers, as he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. I answer his smile as I stretch my arms over my head.

Adonis is still as beautiful as the day I found him. Today I will say goodbye forever. I adored every single minute I spent with him, I thank Hades on my bare knees I could spend more time with him. But I can't help but think that after today I will be free.

'This is it, isn't it?' he asks hoarsely. 'That is why you wanted to know how many times I told you I loved you all those years ago, isn't it?' We never talked about this, ignoring that we were living on time borrowed. I nod silently. He smiles as a single tear falls from his eye.

'I'm sorry,' I whisper, wiping his tear with my thumb.

'Don't be,' he laughs. 'I love that every time I told you I loved you mattered. Hadn't I done it, I couldn't have come back to you. I just wish I said it a hundred times more.' I smile, leaning in to press a kiss on his luscious lips.

We get dressed, planning on spending this day together until the last minute. We will do whatever he wants. It must be a sin to know the time and day you will die. Or a gift.

When we walk outside, he pulls me along and twirls me under his hand.

'Dance with me, Aphrodite,' he smiles. And so we dance to the music of the world. To anyone else it may seem like there is no music at all, but we can hear it in the excited rustle of the trees, the calm rippling of the water, the zing of the warmth of the sun.

I lean against his hard body at the end of the dance and we sway to the final notes of Summer, before we have to leave for Goodbye.

***

The sun is already going down when I return to the base of Mount Olympus. Here I always find Hephaestus - my husband, my true love, my soulmate. He always embraces me, he always kisses my hair, he always tells me he loves me. And I always tell him I love him, too.

I cut through the final line of trees when I see them standing there, my husband and our daughter. Everyone thinks she is the product of Ares', but we know better.

Ten years ago, we talked about what happened. He agreed to meet with Harmonia and I know that when he saw her, he knew she was his. I could tell by the flicker and colour of his flame he loved her instantly.

Oh, the things they say about us - that we were wretched - that I was sentenced to a life with him - that he was never my equal - that I was just a pretty thing, too beautiful to fall in love with him.

All sins are attempts to fill a void.

Since the day I chose Hephaestus, since the day he chose me, there is no more room for sins.

Only love.