53.

Bored after that spectacular world wide orgy which left nothing but red tinged cheeks and burning ears - and probably some surprises in nine months-, I am spending the final days of my pregnancy around Cato's temple. Whenever Helios is shining his golden rays down on the population of Corinth, I make sure to keep to the shade or stay indoors. Only when clouds cover the sun or after sundown, I get out.

Today I find myself walking through the woods when I spot a stranger. He is beautiful. Not as beautiful as Adonis, not as attractive as Apollo, but beautiful nonetheless. But something feels off. I look at him from a little distance, not making my presence known. He is not a satyr, nor is he a god or a hero. His mortal flame is burning high, but it is not impressive. It's a fickle flame, like it's dancing on wind. He is moving through the woods with a bow and arrow.

Punish him.

Make him pay.

Please, Narcissus.

It's like the wind is speaking to me, I keep hearing different voices. Curious, I keep walking through the woods, forgetting about the boy I saw moments earlier, listening for the voices who are begging me to listen.

I loved him!

Make him pay.

I beg of you.

'Where are you?' I mutter, trying to locate the source of the voices. There is only one explanation for hearing the winds speak - someone is praying to me. Scratch that - more than one person is praying to me. I can hear a dozen different voices, some more clear than others.

Make him pay.

Aphrodite, goddess of love and pleasure...

I turn around 360 degrees, not finding the women who are calling out to me. There is one place I will hear them. Quickly, I make my way back to the town of Corinth.

Once I'm walking past the stalls on the market place, I hear someone whisper excitedly. Are they the whispers calling for me? When I hear Hephaestus' name as a whisper of wind, I snap my head up. Tilting my head to the side I study the two nymphs huddling closely over a basket.

'...true. With Aglaea.'

'So he really went through with the divorce?' I feel something lashing at my heart.

'I know! It is unheard of,' the small nymph says when I move away as quickly as possible. I know what heartbreak feels like. It is cold and sharp and vivid. The hurt claws at my chest as I make my way over to Cato's town house, the route before me rather blurry from the tears in my eyes.

I should have known that the minute I left Aglaea would be there to pick up the pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if my former best friend told him where I'd be the day he caught me in his net.

He gave her flowers. He never gave me flowers. Why would he? There was no reason to woo me - I was already his. He didn't need to prove himself to anyone - me in the least.

I trip over the threshold and into the kitchen, falling on my knees, my hands shoot up at my belly. Startled, Cato drops the spoon she used to stir the stew.

'O Titans,' I moan, drawing a deep breath. The priestess dries her hands on a towel before hurrying over to me. The contractions follow each other quickly.

'Let me help you,' she says, grabbing me by the elbow.

'Ooow,' I groan, the pent up tears falling from my eyes. I forget all about Aglaea and Hephaestus while I focus on my contractions. Having had a number of children, this delivery will be a matter of minutes.

Cato guides me to the bedroom, where I kneel on the bed on my hands and knees. It is happening.

'Are you ready?'

I let out a yelp, clenching the sheets until my knuckles turn white. This is going to be a new beginning. I promise, to myself and to this child, I shan't think about shedding another tear over her damn father. She is mine and I am hers. Why won't he listen to me - love me - believe me? Cato is bustling with the length of my peplos until she has a clear view of the situation.

I will not think about Hephaestus any longer. He broke my heart. He left me alone. He is history.

'I promise,' I whisper as I feel my body adapting to the weight and length of a child passing my birth canal. I let out an earth shattering scream, not hearing any of Cato's instructions or warm words.

'There she is,' Cato says softly, cooing at the baby in her arms. She cuts the cord and comes over to my front side while I brace myself for the final shocks of child birth.

'She is beautiful, Aphrodite,' Cato tells me, tucking my hair behind my ear. I start crying from all the emotions rushing through me as I look at my beautiful baby girl.

I will call her Harmonia. No matter what Hephaestus will tell everyone - no matter what he tells himself - he is most definitely her father. She has his eyes, his lips. The baby is sucking on her tongue sweetly.

'Titans,' I pant as the final contractions push out the afterbirth. Cato gives me my daughter, and I hold her with shaking arms as she pulls the blooded sheets off the bed. I sit down, having eyes for nothing and no one but my daughter.

'I love you,' I tell her, crying. 'I will love you forever.'