36.

I never thought my husband was one for love making. Initially I thought it would be fire on fire, fighting tooth and nail for dominance. But there is a sweet rhythm to what we have, what we share. I thought I would be hungry for his love, that I would be impatient. Although I'm wet already from the built-up anticipation I want this to last forever.

He lifts me up and puts me on the table, his hands discover whatever skin is visible, grazing the sides of my breasts as his fingers caress my arms. He never stops kissing me. Slowly his fingers push up my skirt, baring my legs. My own hands venture toward his towel, which is kept up by one body part only. 

Curious I let my hand slide between the folds of the towel and wrap my hand around him, moving up and down slowly, imagining whatever is to come next as his fingers find their way up my legs. His other hand tangles with my curls and he pulls my head back by my hair.

'Is this what you want?' he breathes. 

'Yes.' I'm heating up and I'm growing lighter in my head as he touches me everywhere except where I need him the most.

He grabs my venturing hand and slams it down on the table, pulling me back a little. As he leans over me tiny droplets of water fall out of his hair and on my skin. My chest falls and rises with every breath I take. Hephaestus is looking at my lips, at my chin, at my chest - everywhere except my eyes. I move my free hand toward his chin and tilt it backward, forcing him to make eye contact.

'It is what I want,' I tell him firmly. He looks at me with calculating near black eyes. His flame is a bright orange red, sparks escaping from the blaze. He wants me too. Why doesn't he follow through? Although I learn something new about the qualities of his fire as well of those of others', I still don't know exactly what it means. I wish I could tell him what I see, what I feel, what I know - but I'm afraid. He will think I'm a liar. He wouldn't be the first.

He slowly lets go of my hand and moves an inch away from me.

'Are you going to make me beg for it?' I whisper hoarsely. He smiles.

'No. But I am going to make you wait for it.'

'Why.' He leans in and kisses me gingerly.

'I don't want to make love to my wife the first time on the table in my forgery,' he breathes against my mouth. His hands move to my backside and he pulls me flush against him, so I can feel his hot and hard need. My hands move toward his back and I dig my fingers into his skin, wanting to feel all of him. I take a deep breath before resting my cheek on his chest. Closing my eyes I can hear his steady heartbeat and the rumbling through the caves. 

'Okay,' I whisper before letting him go. 'I - um - brought you some food and wine.' I jump from the table and straighten out my dress and hair a bit. 'See you tomorrow?' He grabs my hand and turns me around.

'Look at me.' Smiling, I look up at him. I'm perfectly aware I'm forcing it, but I can't let my chagrin get the best of me. And yes. I'm also aware of the fact he already knows his rejection hurt me.

'I'm not rejecting you,' he says, tucking my hair behind my ear. He plants a feather light kiss on my eyebrow. 

'Titans know how badly I want to, but not like this. We definitely can do better.' My smile falters. It's just sex, it's not like we had to get married on a random day in our miserable existence, right?!

'It's okay,' I respond quietly, freeing my hand. It's not like he rejected me a dozen times before already either, right?! He smiles a little.

'Don't get angry with me now.'

'I'm not.'

'Aphrodite-'

'Don't use your foreknowledge against me now,' I snap. 'Fine - you can see my soul dim down and light up, but this is not the first time, now is it? You can see it all the time and you never do anything to make it better.' His smile disappears. I didn't anger him, I hurt him. The worst is that I regret my words, because I realise he sees this all the time in everyone and I don't want to be the one disappointing him.

'I'm sorry.'

'No, don't apologise.'

'But-' he cuts me off by smashing our mouths together, putting his hands on my sides and pulling me closer. He grabs my hand and directs it back to the towel.

'Feel that?' he groans against my mouth between kisses. 'This is not out of politeness. This is hurt and need and want. I will see you tonight. Come after dark.'

'I'm your wife,' I giggle a little agitated, 'I don't need to hide in the dark to see my husband.'

'Your husband needs to get his work done and after that he needs to get you… undone. Come after dark, Aphrodite.' He pulls my head back by my hair and kisses me passionately, like a promise, leaving me lightheaded.

And then he lets go.